Instagram’s nudity policy is an insta-no

0
686

Web - bewbs - Twitter

Considering Instagram’s conception and birth happened in modern society, it baffles me that their nudity policy is archaic and works hard to strengthen classic double standards concerning female bodies.

In recent news, celebrities such as Scout Willis and Rihanna have had their Instagram accounts suspended for posting topless pictures. Willis’ major Insta-indiscretion came in the form of a sweatshirt that depicted two topless women, while Rihanna’s fatal post featured her topless magazine cover for Lui.

In response to the punishment, Willis tweeted out a photo of a man showing his nipple, posted by Tracy Morgan, one that passed Instagram’s merciless “no nipple” clause, contrasted by Rihanna’s magazine cover with the caption “This….. but not this…. Pardon my confusion.”

As a defense, the CEO of the popular social media app was quick to proclaim, “Our goal is really to make sure that Instagram, whether you’re a celebrity or not, is a safe place and that the content that gets posted is something that’s appropriate for teens and also for adults.”

The policy seems to me like a thinly veiled reincarnation of enduring double standards.

Perhaps if, like Instagram’s CEO stated, the app enforced policy with an even and fair hand, I would not be writing this article. Unfortunately, that is not the case. While Instagram’s vigilantes continue to suspend and ban photos of art, photos of those who are or were battling breast cancer, and photos of new moms, popular accounts like billionaire Dan Bilzerian’s, who has over three million followers, go untouched.

Apparently photos of bare-chested women, hugging guns and draped on Bilzerian’s bed wearing nothing but a thong is what Instagram considers content that contributes to an appropriate and safe environment “for teens and also for adults” . . . as long as Bilzerian graciously blurs our their nipples with a cute blue star!

Or how about his photo of a girl covering her lower half with a plaque that reads “Dan Bilzerian Pulls The Bitches” while her companion crouches down and covers her nipples with her hands? If you ask me, parents can sleep soundly knowing that Instagram has banned sexually explicit baddies (like breastfeeding moms) while allowing Bilzerian’s mild and almost pious content to perforate this safe Insta-environment.

Frankly, I don’t believe Instagram’s nudity policy has much to do with creating a safe and appropriate experience for all ages. Instead, it seems to me like a thinly veiled reincarnation of enduring double standards with one important lesson: sex sells, ladies and gentlemen, while reality does not.

Either Instagram steps up to the plate and cracks down on those who violate the principles of their nudity policy with an even hand, or they should do themselves a favor and leave all the Insta-boobs alone.