SFU Faculty Association votes to unionize

0
552

SFU faculty members and library staff have officially voted to unionize.

The results of the vote, which were made public on Thursday, May 15, showed a majority of staff members are for unionization. Out of the 800 votes cast, 590 were in favour of becoming a certified union, while 210 were opposed. Voter turnout on the issue was 73 per cent.

The results are similar to those of a vote from the UVic Faculty Association in January of this year, when 82 per cent of the association voted to become a certified union.

The ballot asked voters if they wanted “the Faculty Association of Simon Fraser University (SFUFA) to be recognized as a certified union, under the Labour Relations Code” and to have that body act as representative of faculty members and librarians in collective bargaining with the university.

Now that staff have officially given their go ahead on unionization, the next step is the issuing of a formal certification order by the Labour Relations Board of British Columbia. SFU administration and the newly formed SFUFA will then begin negotiating their first collective agreement.

A public release signed by VP Academic Jonathan Driver and SFUFA president Neil Abramson, stated that “The University Administration and Faculty Association respect the choice made by faculty members and librarians regarding their preferred form of representation.”

The release concluded, “Both the Administration and the Association are committed to maintaining the positive working relationship we have enjoyed.”

This story is currently developing and more details will be added as information becomes available. Please check back soon.