Notes from the Board of Governors

0
382

Concurrent BSc-MSc program in computing science approved

At the most recent board of governors meeting on May 29, the board opted to approve a concurrent bachelor’s-master’s program in the School of Computing Science. A concurrent program will allow students to work on the two degrees simultaneously, since credits from concurrent courses required for both will apply to each degree.

The motion read, “that the University Relations Committee of the Board of Governors, acting under delegated authority, approve the Full Program Proposal for a Concurrent Bachelor’s-Master’s Program in Computing Science in the School of Computing Science within the Faculty of Applied Sciences, effective Fall 2014.”

50th anniversary celebration update

Celebrations for SFU’s 50th anniversary are planned to take place from September 2015 to May 2016. To date, the university has raised $26,268,286 during its fundraising campaign for the event. The celebration will include many smaller initiatives, a ceremony, a “possible founder’s ball on September 9th, a special (re)convocation in October 2015, a strong arts and cultural program, a global week of welcome, and a Burnaby community/lifelong learning festival.”

In a report filed by the committee for information, some of the goals of the 50th anniversary celebrations are outlined as serving to foster a strong sense of community across SFU campuses, to strengthen connections with external partners, and to promote SFU’s vision and reputation as “Canada’s most community-engaged university.”