Bus riders vs. riding the bus

0
617

4574124042_75b9978f44_b

Woohoo

In 2004, according to ICBC, around 70 per cent of Metro Vancouverites between the ages of 20 and 24 had driver’s licenses. Now that number has fallen to 55 per cent. The age bracket above them, 25-29, similarly fell 10 per cent to 67.

Hmm. . . perhaps this is largely due to that handy little thing we all so ardently worship, asking our buddies at SFU every four weeks or so, “Hey, can we get next month’s U-Pass yet?”

If you’re part of this dramatic increase in transiting folk, rejoice: you’re reducing our carbon footprint on the planet. Yay! Also, enjoy the peace of mind that comes from being on a bus, rather than snailing behind one.

And think of all you get done just sitting on the bus. You can do the readings you forgot on the weekend! And a late 145 or 135 might mean an awkward, late arrival to lecture, but it also means more time to make up for that worthwhile procrastination.

Boohoo

All these thoughts bubble inside you, and then you smell morning breath. Maybe it’s wafting over from that guy next to you. Or perhaps it’s your TA, who unfortunately got on the same bus as you, who you’ve just made eye-contact with, and who you have to force out some conversation with (so much for doing your expected readings).

And how about awkward acquaintance bus run-ins? You catch a glimpse of that person who has been in your tutorial all semester long, and you both just stare with vacant eyes.

You know what? If we’re all on this ride together, we should be able to talk and make the most of the grueling 30 minutes. That vacancy could be replaced by the start of a beautiful friendship!

While our generation is green, we’ve also made social awkwardness in close spaces a genetically inheritable trait. At least our children will thank us for the clean air. . . even if they won’t be talking to each other about it.