Board Shorts

0
524

View north from SUB

The gold standard

Board voted in favour of pursuing certification for the Student Union Building at the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold level. Policy states that the SUB project must be LEED certified, and Build SFU has already begun designing the building to meet or exceed the LEED Gold level rating. The LEED green building rating system considers factors such as water efficiency, energy efficiency, and material selection when assigning a ranking.

When asked by board members why they were not pursuing a Platinum level certification, Build SFU general manager Marc Fontaine replied, “It would not be possible for us to achieve platinum. There are points we can not receive on the scorecard, because we’re not reusing the building, for example.”

PSA Social Night

Representatives from the Pakistani Student Association approached board on Tuesday with a request for $1,230.12 to finance their Social Night, to be held Friday, May 30. The funds would be used in part on $560 worth of food, $209 for instrument rentals, and $224 for tablecloths and runners.

SFSS president Chardaye Bueckert cautioned the board against setting a dangerous precedent by granting the funds, as policy dictates that financial requests first go through Granting Committee before reaching the board. Furthermore, board only received the PSA’s request on Monday — the night before the meeting.

Nevertheless, because Granting has not yet met this semester, board passed the motion to grant the PSA $1,110 for their social night, after reducing the request for tablecloths and runners by $114.

Let them eat cake

Approximately two hours into the meeting, board was interrupted as Deepak Sharma began a rousing rendition of “Happy Birthday” for both VP finance, Adam Potvin, and Communication, Art and Technology faculty representative, Shirin Escarcha.