Clan win on Senior’s Day

0
494

It was Senior’s Day for the Clan women’s basketball team and the final home game for seniors Chelsea Reist, Kia van Laare, Rebecca Langmead, and Marie-Line Petit, as well as senior team manager Alex Mackenzie. In a proper send-off, the Clan won their fourth straight game, 70–59, against the St. Martin’s Saints, despite a sloppy second half.

The game got off to a slow start after a 35 minute ceremony delay, with no scoring in the first minute. Head coach Bruce Langford, unhappy with the pace of play, called a timeout early while the game remained scoreless. The timeout was quite effective as Reist, one of the seniors playing her last home game, opened the scoring on a three-point play, turning the momentum in SFU’s favour.

For the rest of the first period, the Clan were on top as the Saints didn’t score until the Clan had already scored eight points — including an Erin Chambers three-pointer. The Saints had numerous defensive woes, highlighted by two straight fast-break baskets by van Laare.

Though not as tight as the previous game against the Wolves, the Clan still played a great defensive game allowing just 18 points in the first half for a score of 39–18 at the break.

Mirroring the game against the Wolves, however, was the Clan’s weaker second half during which they allowed SMU to close the gap. Though the Clan took quite a few fouls in the first, the Saints only started to punish them for it in the second, scoring on 13 of 17 free throw attempts, as compared to their 50 per cent average from the stripe in the first.

As the second frame went on, SMU kept scoring, while SFU struggled to hit baskets. The Saints gave a formidable pushback, winning the period 41–31. However, it was not enough and the Clan won 70–59.

“It was a little rough at times,” said Reist after her team’s final home game of the season. “There were a few turnovers, and things we could have cleaned up a little bit, but we had some strong points in the game and I think we’ll focus on those going ahead.”

But for many, the focus was on Reist and her fellow seniors, who left West Gym triumphant one last time.

“It’s a bit of roller coaster,” she said. “I’m super happy that I’ve been able to play [here]. Obviously it’s really sad, and I’m going to miss it a lot, but it was fun.”

But with the playoffs looming, the ride’s not over just yet.