Women’s wrestling back in action

0
552

SFU’s women’s wrestling squad, 2013 Women’s Collegiate Wrestling Association champions, have returned for another year of competition as the Clan look to have another solid season in 2013-14.

After starting strong with a victory over Wayland Baptist, the ladies hit the road again this past weekend travelling to the Oklahoma City Duals. The women earned a second place finish, perhaps a disappointment after having won the same competition last season. It was an impressive performance nonetheless, especially considering the number of freshmen on this year’s squad.

The ladies got off to an early lead beating Lindenwood 32-11 in the first match of the weekend which allowed them to advance to the semi-finals. Next on the docket was Oklahoma City, the runner up from last season’s meet, and a highly contested competitor for the Clan. The visitors fell behind by a 15-point deficit to their cross-continent rivals before coming together as a team to take down the Blues in a comeback victory that will not soon be forgotten.

The Clan trailed 16-1 after four matches before Gina Carpenter was able to win her match at 130 pounds to give the Clan the spirit to strike back. Following her match the Clan went undefeated as they swooped in to steal the win from their hosts, 25-18. Wins came from Mallory Velte, Bailley Halverson, Monika Podgorski, Justina DiStasio and Jenna McLatchy.

In the finals however, a comeback could not be staged as the women fell 35-9 to Kings University. Darby Huckle, Michiko Araki and DiStasio were the Clan’s sole victors in the final competition, but the top-ranked Kings were able to combine their efforts for the win.

DiStasio was notably undefeated over the entire weekend and in the season to date, winning all eight of her matches in Oklahoma City and all 10 in the short season thus far.

The women have a long schedule passing through the new-year before competing in the WCWA championships in the spring. The SFU men’s wrestlers, who also have a lengthy season ahead of them, will begin competition in November as the last winter sport team to begin their 2013-14 campaign.