University Briefs

0
417

WEB - Briefs - Dex1138

UBC Theatre makes students’ Halloween dreams come true

This Halloween season, the University of British Columbia’s Department of Theatre is selling some of their custom-made costumes for those looking for an elaborate and realistic Halloween character. The costumes on sale are those that the department has determined cannot be repurposed for future productions and are all priced at under $10.

This is the second year the theatre department has sold its old clothing; last year the sale was successful in selling off the majority of its old clothing. Each costume was made specifically for an actor for a certain performance, and much of that information can still be found on the costumes’ labels.

With files from The Ubyssey

Half of Canadian students say “no” to rubbers

According to a new national study by Trojan Condoms, only half of Canadian post-secondary students are pulling out a little rubber friend when it’s time to get busy.

The study found that two-thirds of students, aged 18 to 24, reported having a sexual encounter in the last year. Out of that group, 72 per cent had sexual intercourse, and of those only 51 per cent reported using a condom. For those that used condoms, more than half said they used them for birth control, while six per cent mentioned protection against sexually transmitted diseases.

According to Dr. Robin Milhausen, an associate professor at the University of Guelph who is analyzing the study data, many post-secondary students suffer from safe sex fatigue. “They haven’t had a scare and think ‘this isn’t going to happen to me’ because they feel robust,” said Milhausen.

With files from Canoe

Bonus American Brief: University of Minnesota sends advisory – no offensive costumes

In a letter e-mailed to students on Oct. 10, University of Minnesota officials  warned students not to don costumes this Halloween that “inappropriately perpetuate racial, cultural and gender stereotypes.”

Danita Brown Young, vice provost and dean of students, who cosigned the letter, said, “This is about raising awareness . . . We just want people to be respectful and be thoughtful when they are celebrating Halloween.”

According to Mike Schmit, the undergraduate student body president, other student associations are following the university’s example. In an email two weeks ago, Beta Theta Pi sent a similar message to its members with the subject line: “HAVE FUN, but be respectful.” The email included a list of unacceptable party themes (“blackface, men dressing like women”) and acceptable ones (“disco party, heroes and villains”).

With files from Star Tribune