University Briefs

0
400

WEB - university briefs

New UBC frosh reports add fuel to fire

Last week, reports surfaced that new University of British Columbia students also shouted a chant mocking Aboriginal people during frosh activities. This story surfaced shortly after UBC frosh organizers were landed in hot water over a chant was reported that encouraged the rape of underaged girls.

Computer science graduate and orientation squad manager Benjamin Israel stated he witnessed a chant of “white man, steal our land” as part of a Commerce Undergraduate Students team called “Pocahontas.” These allegations also came just as the Truth and Reconciliation Committee opened hearings in Vancouver last week.

With files from The Observer

SMU grad returns degrees over sexist chant 

A former student of Saint Mary’s University (SMU), who earned degrees in arts and commerce at the university 18 years ago, walked onto the school’s campus carrying his two degrees. He was met by SMU registrar Paul Dixon, where “the two exchanged few words before Dixon took the scrolls and walked away.”

“To me, those degrees are valueless,” Miller said. “I wanted to distance myself [from] the embarrassment and shame I felt from this sort of culture” — referring to the recent scandal caused by a chant sung at the university’s frosh week that glorified the rape of underage girls.

With files from Cape Breton Post

Gun club pops up at U of C

A gun club has been establish at the University of Calgary for the first time in recent history, and already has 20 members signed up.

“It’s not gonna be like an in-your-face American-style guns are great, et cetera, et cetera,” Henry Lung, the founder and president of the club said. “It’s gonna be guns can be safe in the right hands and they can be a lot of fun.”

The club plans on hosting social gatherings and trips to local shooting ranges for its members. So far, here have been no complaints against the organization.

With files from CBC News

3023744906_6522e6dbb8_o

Bonus American Brief: University takes down pendulum after students “go Miley”

Grand Valley State University in Michigan took down the Pendulum Statue, citing “health reasons,” after students were found using the statue to emulate Miley Cyrus’ new video for “Wrecking Ball.”

The students posted several vines mimicking the video, in which Miley sits atop a large wrecking ball completely naked. No decision has been made as to when the statue may be put back up. Last Tuesday night, dozens of students protested its removal at the site of the statue.

With files from Fox 17