Theatre Under the Stars lights up summer nights

0
546

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying

After recent successful revivals on Broadway and the popularity of Mad Men, I’m really glad Theatre Under the Stars chose this musical. Set in the 60s and following Finch (Andrew Cownden) as he tries to move up the corporate ladder, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying was an extremely enjoyable show.

With an amazing art deco inspired set and beautiful dresses and suits to fit the era, we were transported to the office of the World Wide Wicket Company as Finch moves from the mailroom all the way to Director of the Board, with a few mishaps along the way.

Meanwhile, Rosemary (Georgia Swinton) tries to get Finch to notice her; all while company owner’s nephew, Bud Frump (Victor Hunter) tries to convince his mother to convince his aunt, to convince his uncle, Mr. Biggley (Joel Wirkkunen), that he deserves a promotion.

Wirkkunen as Mr. Biggley gave a stellar performance as the moody, idiotic man whose secret hobby is knitting. Hedy (Cailin Stadnyk) was also wonderful as Biggley’s high-pitched ditzy mistress. Another highlight was the striking choreography that seemed to fit perfectly with the era and the context of the show. Both male and female ensembles were synchronised and performed with excitement.

Full of witty, relatable songs, it’s difficult to choose which were the best. “Coffee Break” was performed as the cast collapsed onto the stage and staggered around singing “If I can’t take my coffee break, something inside me dies.”

Another humorous song was “A Secretary is not a Toy,” as well as “Been a Long Day”: Smitty (Caitlin Clugston) is in the elevator with Rosemary and Finch, singing “he’s thinking . . .” and “she’s thinking . . .” as they fill in the blanks.

One of the final songs, “Brotherhood of Man,” was utterly triumphant; Biggley’s secretary Miss Jones (Jennifer Suratos) suddenly breaks into skat, demonstrating her incredible talent. The whole cast danced around, exuberantly singing “There is a Brotherhood of Man / a Benevolent Brotherhood of Man / a noble tie that binds / all human hearts and minds / into one Brotherhood of Man,” skillfully inserting “sister” at a couple points in the song.

This was a tremendously entertaining musical, and is just as relevant now as it was when it was first performed in the 60s.

Legally Blonde

This positively pink show about loyalty and not judging people based on their appearance was a fun, upbeat production full of laughs and catchy songs. The play, modelled after the movie by the same title, follows Elle (Breanne Arrigo) on her quest for love at Harvard Law School.

The show begins at Elle’s sorority, Delta Nu, as the girls gush over her expected proposal from her boyfriend Warner (Peter Cumins). After Warner breaks up with Elle instead of proposing, she is resolute in her plan to get into Harvard Law School and prove to him that she too can be “serious.”

Once at Harvard Elle does not fit in at all, but she soon becomes friends with the very sweet Emmett (Scott Walters) who ends up falling in love with her. Warner’s new girlfriend, the scheming Vivienne (Andrea Bailey), does everything she can to make Elle look like a fool, including inviting her to a “costume” party where Elle is the only one dressed up — in a pink playboy bunny outfit.

The iconic “Bend and Snap” scene in the salon was a highlight of the show as Elle tries to teach Paulette (her hairdresser) how to use this failsafe move to attract the UPS man that she describes as “walking porn.” The recurring song “Omigod You Guys” was also a success, sung by the Daughters of Delta Nu as they follow Elle around as her “Greek Chorus.”

When Elle secures an internship with Professor Callaghan (Warren Kimmel), they are assigned a case to defend workout video star Brooke Wyndham (Katie Murphy) who is accused of murdering her (much older and wealthier) husband. Elle realizes that Brooke is also a Delta Nu and thereby gains her trust and is able to prove her innocence without revealing her alibi.

Brooke’s song “Whipped into Shape” is wonderfully choreographed and full of skipping rope tricks and flips. In the courtroom scene, the poolboy Nikos (Daniel Cardoso) is on the stand and the song “Gay or European” breaks out to question his sexuality. This was probably my favourite song of the whole show with lines like: “Depending on the time of day, the French go either way.”

Of course Elle’s dog Bruiser is in the show as well, played by the very cute Milo. Paulette (Cathy Wilmot) also has a dog, Rufus, who is played by the adorable Béla Nicholas. The dogs received lots of cheers whenever they were on stage. Re-imagined as a Broadway show, the story retained all the drama and hilarity of the film with the addition of some great original songs.