My identity in Canada through hockey and photography

0
471

EV

Hockey and photography — the two things I love. They’re also the two things I found a passion for when I came to Canada a little over a year ago.

I went to my first hockey game on my second day in Canada, and sort of stumbled upon it because of the group of people I was hanging out with that day. I remember walking into the arena; the cold wind blowing up from the ice; the mixed smell of the hot dogs; popcorn and beer; the sound of kids yelling; different jerseys; and the sound from the crowd cheering and swearing. The atmosphere was fantastic. Even though I had no idea what was going on at first, I fell in love with the game.

Getting into photography was pretty much the same. I had a point and shoot camera, and a couple of my photographer friends asked me to go on a photowalk with them. The next thing I knew, I was buying a used camera and lenses for an incredibly sweet deal and taking my own photos. I feel like the ability to take good photos was already in me because I was able to pick up on it unusually fast, and became known for my photos by quite a few people.

However, when I first began doing portraits, I didn’t feel like I was taking the best photos I could take, so I took my camera to a hockey game. Combining the two things I love was the best thing I could have possibly done; I saw the game through a different perspective when I looked at it through the lens.

People have asked me what I love about taking photos. I’ve heard things like, “everyone does it, you just point and click a button.” But photography is so much more than that: it’s a vision. It’s the ability to see something in your mind and then make it so with the resources you have available. It’s not about simply clicking a button on the camera. It’s about the power of envisioning something and producing a tangible version of that thing that photography is all about.

I learned that by taking photos, I could see my vision form on that tiny camera screen. I’ve seen millions of hockey photos online, I’ve seen everyone taking out their phones and taking photos at a game. I’ve done that, too. It doesn’t matter what you take the photo with, it’s what you see and how you make it come to life through your photos that matters.

I see both hockey and photography as two very different art forms. When taking photos, you capture moments by using your imagination to make them look as remarkable as possible and preserve them. In hockey, you use your imagination to come up with the best plays possible to score the most unique goals.

In my mind, the feeling when you take a great photo and the feeling when you score a great goal are exactly the same. I’ve never felt as fantastic taking my first photo as I did when I scored my first goal. The feeling that I had actually created something by envisioning it and then getting the shot or scoring the goal are the most wonderful things I have ever felt. I’m grateful for seizing the opportunity to make photography and hockey a part of my life.

A lot of people have said I’ve become a “Canadianized photographer.” I love it, and wouldn’t have it any other way.