COLUMN: A man walks into a bar; three beers are on special . . .

0
424

No joke, just a quick rundown of brew diversity in Vancouver

By Adam Dewji

So you walk into the pub, and ask your server what the specials are. They have a pale ale, a stout and a lager. But what does that actually mean?

There are two main categories that beer can be put in. Beer can be either a type of ale, or a type of lager. There are many sub-types of beer. The econo-beers that you normally buy, such as a Molson or Budweiser, are generally North American-ized lagers. They are designed to be served ice cold, and go down smooth.

Ales are generally served a bit warmer, around five degrees celsius. Some are even served warmer, but it depends on the brew. Ales generally have the most flavour, and aren’t made for chugging. Now let’s go over the most common types of beer you’ll find on menus around town.

We’ll start with types of ales. IPA or an India pale ale is a type of ale that is brewed strong with lots of hops. This type of beer will be generally more bitter and flavourful compared to your standard lager. If you see IPA on a menu, it will probably be stronger than normal. A good beginner IPA for those afraid of hopsing in with both feet is the Fat Tug from Driftwood Brewing.

Pale ales are probably the most common type of ale that you’ll get at a bar. These ales are served a bit warmer than ice cold, and generally have more flavour than a lager. They are a good stepping stone to an IPA. If you want a pale ale that will go down smooth and taste good, try the Blue Buck from Philips Brewing.

Hefeweizens, or wheat ales, are thick ales that taste very bread-y because, as their translated name indicates, they’re made with more wheat than your average ale. They are quite dense, and very flavourful. Some macro-breweries have flavoured their brews with citrus peel, like a Rickard’s White (flavoured with orange). The Granville Island Hefeweizen is a good starter.

Stouts (or stout ales) are my particular favourite. Stouts are similar to (and often called) porters. The difference between stouts and porters is still unconfirmed by beer enthusiasts today — but you can Google it.

They are bold, dark, and rich. They look scary, but they actually aren’t too bitter, but are thicker in texture than most other beers. They are generally brewed with roasted cocoa malts, and have a bit of a coffee or dark chocolate aftertaste. Everyone has heard of Guinness, so if you can, give that a try. If you want a flavoured stout or porter, go with the Longboat Chocolate Porter from Philips Brewing.

If you’re really inclined, try a St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (best oatmeal stout ever).

Winter ales were covered in a previous column, but for posterity’s sake: they are generally special versions of pale ales in North America; they are flavoured with Christmas spices. Try the Lion’s Winter Ale by Granville Island.

As for lagers, you’ll find general North American lagers around town. The most common are Okanagan Springs 1516, Molson Canadian, and Budweiser. If you want to step out of the mainstream, try a lager from Steamworks, Red Racer, or Mt. Begbie. You won’t go back to the regular stuff. These are the main strands of lagers you’ll find on menus around town.

Now when your server lists off specials, you can choose not just by price, but by taste.