Trampires don’t exist

0
419

Kristen Stewart versus the duble standard of infidelity

By Leah Scheitel
Photos by Eleanor Qu

VANCOUVER (Capilano Courier) — On July 24, news stormed the Internet that Twilight star Kirsten Stewart, or “K-Stew,” had been caught smooching her Snow White and the Huntsman director Rupert Sanders, while still in a relationship with Robert Pattinson (herein to be addressed in equal fashion as “R-Patz”). The media frenzy that this affair triggered was mind-blowing, with the media, general public, and fellow celeb stars like Will Ferrell and Bruce Willis chiming in about their split. Everyone seemed to have something to say about their relationship, and this time, everyone was on Team Edward.

It seemed nobody could get enough of the story, and neither could the public. The amount of attention that K-Stew and R-Patz suffered was alarming, considering that infidelity happens every day (maybe even twice a day in Hollywood). More alarming was the amount of scorn and hatred for K-Stew as the cheater, the one who shattered the dream relationship of every Twi-hard across America. Enter the double standard.

In 2005, Brad Pitt was TMZ’s wet dream when he cheated on wife Jennifer Aniston with Angelina Jolie. He committed adultery, broke his vows, and destroyed their marriage, yet never met the wrath of the media, instead continuing his highly successful Hollywood career. Arnold Schwarzenegger had a 10-year affair with his maid, Mildred Baenea. Baenea had Arnie’s child out of wedlock, who Schwarzenegger finacially supported for years, unbeknownst to his wife, Maria Shriver. Interestingly, Arnold was the Governor of California when this information surfaced. Even Bill Clinton, who was the president of the United States when he had “sexual relations” with 22-year-old intern Monica Lewinsky, received less public scrutiny than K-Stew’s kissing. He barely got a slap on the wrist for it, professionally speaking.

Not only did K-Stew get cut from the sequel of Snow White and the Huntsman, The Huffington Post reported that the sequel is being rewritten without the Snow White character in it, and will focus mainly on the Huntsman.

“You know things have gotten bad when the studio doesn’t just fire you from a film; they’re so afraid of being associated with your scandal that they’re firing your entire character,” wrote Nico Lang.

The public’s infatuation with the Kristen Stewart story is overwhelming. Even comedian Will Ferrell has something to say about it: “They were in love and she just threw it all away,” Ferrell cried on Conan, “I don’t know what this means for the Twilight franchise!”

So the message is: men cheat and they can continue to rule the world, whereas a 22-year-old girl cheats and she is deemed a “trampire.” Where is the scorn and ridicule for her accomplice in adultery, Rupert Sanders? He had a wife (with whom he has two kids), and was making out with his employee, who was 20 years his junior. As a society, we should be focusing on less trivial issues that actually concern us on the whole. The private lives of others should be their concern, whether they choose to be monogamous or not.

While it may be lonesome on Team Bella right now, K-Stew still has some allies. Her former Panic Room co-star, Jodie Foster, has said: “Actors who become celebrities are supposed to be grateful for the public interest. After all, they’re getting paid. Just to set the record straight, a salary for a given on-screen performance does not include the right to invade anyone’s privacy, to destroy someone’s sense of self.”

If K-Stew and R-Patz’s frail relationship has any chance of resurrection, the public needs to stop treating her like a slut, and more like any 22-year-old woman with real flaws, making mistakes that are only made harder when magnified by society’s judgement. Whether their kindled romance survives or they break up again in two months, the real lesson here is that we all just need to mind our own goddamn business.