Clan take Wildcats to five sets

0
442

Clan fall a little short, lose in five sets

By Clay Gray

The Simon Fraser Clan volleyball team entered last week’s game as the underdogs against the Great Northwest Athletic Conference’s second-place team, the Central Washington Wildcats. With virtually opposite records and an early-season straight-set victory over SFU, the Wildcats came expecting a win.

Central Washington opened the night strong by taking an early 6–1 lead in the first set. Although the Clan fought back to lead 14–13, the Wildcats beat the Clan to the buzzer in the opening set, 25–21.  The Clan began the second set by grabbing a 5–1 lead and holding on to win by four points, 25–21.

After half time both teams were ready to battle. The game was tied at five when the Wildcats started to pull away and captured the third set, 25–18, regaining their one set lead.  After some early back and forth action, the Clan rallied to take the fourth set 25–23, and forced a fifth set. The Clan jumped out to an early lead in the fifth set, but Central Washington tied the set at six and eventually squeaked past SFU for a 17–15 victory.

The Clan’s record now sits at 4–14 for the season, 1–10 in GNAC play. However, they remained positive; Alanna Chan said, “Even though it’s a loss, it’s the best we’ve played together as a team this year.  We’ll carry that over to the next game, and hopefully get the win.”  SFU travelled to Lacey, Washington last Thursday and squared off against Saint Martin’s, and then went to Monmouth, Oregon on Saturday, where they dueled Western Oregon. Both these games will be covered in the next edition of the Peak.