Clan football cages the Cougars

0
442

Clan put on offensive clinic and meet a GNAC record

By Bryan Scott

After putting together a stellar performance against the Dixie State Red Storm, the Clan football team was at it again. This time they victimized the Great Northwest Athletics Conference’s newest team, the Asuza Pacific University Cougars. They did it in impressive fashion, tying a GNAC record for most points in a game in their 66–38 victory over the Cougars.

Despite the lopsided final score, the game was close until the final quarter. The Clan only managed to muster up a field goal in the first quarter, and trailed 7–3 after one. The Cougars extended their lead with another field goal before Clan wide receiver Jamal Kett caught a pass from quarterback Trey Wheeler to get the Clan back on track, tying the game at ten. The Cougars pressed again, pushing in another touchdown just two minutes later to regain the lead. Running back Bo Palmer and receiver Lamar Durant scored two touchdowns to end the half. One of the extra point kicks was blocked, so the Clan led 23–17 at halftime.

Early in the third quarter, Palmer punched in his second of three rushing touchdowns on the day, to give the Clan a 12-point lead. The Cougars responded, closing the gap to five. The Clan added another field goal, then got a touchdown from an unlikely source. “I’ve been waiting five years for that to happen,” said defensive back Kyle Miller after completing a pick-six for his first collegiate touchdown, giving the Clan a 38–24 lead. The Cougars tightened the game just 19 seconds later with an astonishing 70-yard touchdown pass from Cougar quarterback Nick Owens to Nick Perez.

The Clan stopped messing around in the fourth quarter. Durant caught a 37-yard pass from Wheeler seven seconds in. Palmer changed it up, scoring through the air on a 70-yard pass from Wheeler. He completed the rushing touchdown hat trick with a 67-yard rush. He posted four touchdowns for the second straight game, and had 299 total yards for the Clan ,which is the 2nd best individual performance in GNAC history. Azusa would add a touchdown late, but it wasn’t even close.

Trey Wheeler was awarded the Red Lion Offensive Player of the Week for the GNAC. He was 32–47 for 378 yards, and had four touchdowns. He only had one interception in the game. The Clan offence has been impressive this season, leading the GNAC in passing yards. It was evident in this game, as they put up 654 total yards; 200 more than the Cougars’ season-best.

The win puts the Clan at 3–3 overall, and 2–3 in conference play. They have the same overall record as Western Oregon, but are trailing by one win in conference play, which is more important for playoff implications.