Board shorts

0
485

By David Dyck

Fall event postponed indefinitely

Although nothing was officially decided at last week’s meeting, member services officer (MSO) Humza Khan raised some serious concerns in regards to the “welcome back” concert that was being planned for the fall. The problem revolved mainly around a lack of time.

“Today I was waiting for the final verdict from the university, whether they want this event to go forward or not, and there were two sides to their response. [First] was ‘Yes, we will always support students in anything they do and in any such event that they want to put up.’ And [second] was ‘we would rather put on the best event possible than an event that is in a makeshift scenario or under a short timeline.’” Ultimately, Khan stated that he appreciated the university’s position.

“The reason it is a short timeline is that we haven’t signed a contract, and we only have the artists on hold, not booked, but on hold until Monday. Our preferred artists are on hold until Monday only, and we do not have enough time to get our contracts reviewed by the legal team.” Khan added that he was personally disappointed, but “would personally rather see it happen correctly than another K’naan event and discouraging the students. You know that if the student society fails the first time, I can guarantee you that there will be no such event for the next 10 years.”

New website to go live this week

Communications coordinator Stijn Daenens gave an update on the society’s new website, which is scheduled to go live this Wednesday. “If you see something that’s bothering you, or you notice something that’s wrong, please email me right away . . . and we’ll fix it,” Daenens told the board.

“We assessed the old website and tried to be creative with that,” Daenens told The Peak after the meeting. “One of the major new features is an events calendar for the campus, and with that is going to be integrated volunteer opportunities. So every event, anyone can submit any event with volunteer opportunities.”

There will also be more information available in regards to meeting times and committee vacancies in the society. “If anyone is interested, they can just go to ‘committees,’ see what they do, see the vacant positions, and apply to the chair. You can also see who is on which committee, and minutes.

“It’ll be more work for me, but I think it’ll be more rewarding for the student society,” he added.