SFSS staff member resigns

1
581

By David Dyck

After 32 years, Hattie Aitken leaves the society

After over 30 years of working with the Simon Fraser Student Society, policy and university relations coordinator Hattie Aitken has resigned from her position. “I have worked for the society for 32 years, and made the decision in the last few weeks that I would be leaving work. My last day of work is actually tomorrow,” said Aitken at the end of last week’s board meeting.

“Thirty-two years is a long time having invested in this society. I really enjoyed working with students, I’ve enjoyed working with boards, and I appreciate that every board who comes to office comes with fresh ideas and lots of energy, and I hope that this board has a really good year,” she added.

Aitken was the subject of controversy in 2006, when the board of directors at the time attempted to fire Aitken on allegations of insubordination and breach of confidentiality. At the time, she had the title of graduate issues and university relations coordinator. Her dismissal “triggered months of scandal, conflict, and eventual impeachment within the SFSS,” according to a Peak reporter at the time. There were seven board members impeached in the fallout from this action, and Aitken was reinstated several months later. The details surrounding this incident remain confidential.

“Hattie has been a large part of the society for over 30 years, and she’s shown a lot of dedication to her role and to students,” said SFSS president Lorenz Yeung. “We’re sorry to see her go.”