A young man in an apron leans on the counter of what looks like an artisinal bakery/cafe. He is looking away from the camera towards a crowd of people. A bowl of potatoes is on the counter.
Retail workers are people too, just be nice to us. Photo: Clem Onojeghuo / Pexels

By: Tamanna T., Staff Writer

No matter how many years pass, the holiday season is the worst thing to happen to me in my retail job. The rushes, the yelling, the entitlement — you can feel it in the air the second it’s November 1.

It all starts with excessive shopping and the attitude towards sales associates. We want to help you, but not at the expense of our own self-respect. I have been yelled at, tolerated snarky attitudes, dismissive behaviour and much, much more. It isn’t our fault if the store doesn’t have what you’re looking for, if the register lines are too long, or if you just fought with your husband about what to get your child for Christmas. The peppermint-bacon scented candles you’ve been looking for are not going to disappear in the next five minutes, so please relax.

Christmas is supposed to be a fun and joyous time for everyone, but somehow the retail industry is excluded from that. Causing a ruckus in the store and throwing piles of hard-to-fold sweaters on the floor is just rude.

We have feelings, just like you, and we’re spending time away from our loved ones on special days to help you out. It doesn’t take much to be kind, so remember to be understanding of the struggles in retail, even if it’s just offering a smile or avoiding a fight with another customer. No one likes a Karen, so please don’t be one this holiday season.