SFU men’s basketball wins third straight game, playing their best basketball of the season

Clan defeat CWU 82–66 behind strong first half

0
607
Jasdeep Singh led the Clan with 25 points. (Photo courtesy of SFU Athletics)

On Saturday, February 9, the SFU men’s basketball team won their third straight game after beating the Central Washington University Wildcats on home court. A dominant first half was all the Clan would need, as they took a 17-point halftime lead and cruised to a 82–66 win.

After a disappointing start to their GNAC season, the Clan appear to have turned things around. Always seeing themselves as a team that can compete for a playoff spot, the team is now finally playing like it. Their blowout win on Saturday came after upset victories over Saint Martin’s and Northwest Nazarene.

Jasdeep Singh had arguably his best game of the season, finishing with 25 points on 11–16 shooting from the field. Between him, Othniel Spence (15 points), Jordan Muir-Keung (12 points) and Wilfried Balata (10 points), the Clan have multiple scoring options from the perimeter.

On the inside, Julian Roche has had a spectacular season in his first year with SFU. The big man had another double-double on Saturday night, finishing with 15 points and 11 rebounds. Games like this are becoming the norm for him, as he has consistently played at a high level as of late.

Meshing all the pieces together is point guard Michael Provenzano, who is first the GNAC with 4.8 assists per game. Saturday was no different, as he had a game-high eight assists in the contest.

Saturday showed that the Clan have all the pieces needed to be a playoff team. Beating two top teams in a row and then handling a lesser opponent comfortably is the best three-game stretch of the season for SFU.

They are now 6–8 in the GNAC, meaning that half of their wins have come over this stretch. The win streak moves them up to sixth place in the conference, one game back of Alaska Anchorage, who have a 7–7 record. Finishing in the top four will be a difficult task, however, as Saint Martin’s (12–2), Northwest Nazarene (11–3), Western Oregon (10–4) and Seattle Pacific (10–4), have a pretty firm hold on the top spots.

What’s next:

Catch the Clan as they go for their fourth straight win on Tuesday, February 12 against Western Washington University. The Vikings have an identical 6–8 record as the Clan, and are led by Trevor Jasinsky, who is second in the GNAC in scoring, averaging 20 points per game.

This has all the makings to be a good one. Tip off is at 7 p.m.