Written by: Srijani Datta, Assistant News Editor

Hourly and daily parking in SFU Burnaby’s North Lot and parking tickets have increased in price due to amendments to the university policy on Parking, Mobility, and Vehicle Traffic. The amendments were approved by the SFU board of governors on June 28.

The policy, which came into effect on September 1, varies the previously fixed hourly rate of $3.25 and daily rate of $13 which applied to all parking lots. Under this new policy, the North Lot will see a higher hourly rate of $5 as well as a higher daily rate of $25.

The hourly and daily rates in the other lots, such as the West Parkade and East Lot, will be maintaining their previous rates of $3.25 and $13, respectively.

These varying rates between parking lots on campus are meant to help manage parking supply and demand. According to SFU Communications and Marketing, these changes are meant “to help reduce parking congestion across the Burnaby Campus.”

Parking ticket prices are also being increased from $30 to $50. Any vehicle that has an unpaid ticket will be subjected to impound, while the student account associated with that vehicle can be placed on hold.

Additionally, SFU Communications and Marketing has announced that there is a new Residence West Lot where the all-day parking rate is fixed at $6.50, if the vehicle is parked before 10 a.m.

These changes are not to affect faculty and staff of the University who have monthly parking permits or who have bought “parking scrips.”