SFU softball drop both games against Central Washington

The Clan give up 21 total runs in the losses to the Wildcats

0
536

With numerous weather delays and cancellations to start the season, SFU softball is now in the thick of things in the regular season. After splitting the doubleheader against Saint Martin’s to start the homestand, the Clan wasn’t able to make it three wins out of four over the weekend, as they lost both games to Central Washington 112 and 101 respectively.

In the first game, SFU came out sluggish, as Central Washington came out to a 40 lead after the top of the third inning. A Taylor Ferleman single to centre field scored two runs, while a Kayla Ellis sacrifice fly scored another. The Clan managed to claw two runs back, as Taylor Gillis batted a single to score one run in the bottom of the third, while a Robyn Mogavero infield fly scored Hailey Gearey to bring the score to 42.

After that though it was all Wildcats. Kayla Ellis drove in one run with two outs in the bottom of the fifth to make it 52. Three straight two-run home runs two of which came in the sixth inning made the final score 112. Alia Stachoski got the start, giving up 10 hits and seven runs in 5.2 innings of work while striking out three batters.

SFU didn’t fare too much better in the second half of the doubleheader. After Central Washington made it 10 in the top of the first, the wheels completely fell off for the Clan. Taelor Griffin scored two off a pitcher’s error, and Rachael Johnson’s single scored one.

It got worse. A Kailyn Campbell double to right-centre field cashed in two runs, before the Wildcats tacked on two more to make it 101 after the top of the fifth. SFU’s Meghan Malkowich got the Clan’s lone run of the game after a solo shot to left field before the mercy rule was enacted. Tori Belton took the loss, giving up 14 hits in five innings.

“You never miss an opportunity to take advantage of a crisis and today’s games gave me an opportunity to play a bunch of kids and some of the kids had good outings,” said coach Mike Renney on the tough day out to SFU Athletics. “It was good for them that they got the innings they needed to get and it’s an investment in the future.”

The loss leaves SFU 69 on the season, and 24 in the conference good enough for seventh place although they have played significantly fewer games than other teams.

Next Game: SFU will take on Northwest Nazarene this Tuesday in another doubleheader. The Crusaders are currently 44 within the Great Northwest Athletic Conference, putting them in fifth place. They currently have the second-worst ERA in the conference with 5.46. Last year, SFU went 22 against Northwest Nazarene.

The first game is scheduled to start at 1 p.m., while the second game will start after at 3 p.m.