Sports Briefs

0
431

Men’s Golf

Surrey native Sy Lovan has signed a national letter of intent to play for SFU. Lovan won double gold medals at the 2014 BC Summer Games, placing in both the individual and team category. He also finished 4th at the 2015 Eddie Hogan Cup, a competition featuring players from both the Western United States and Canada.

Volleyball

SFU libero Alison McKay has won the GNAC Defensive Player of the Year. The Port Moody native was also named to the First-Team All Conference. She finished second in the GNAC with an average of 6.09, and finished ninth in all of Division II. This is the first major award for the Volleyball program since their start playing in the NCAA.

Men’s Wrestling

Cruz Velasquez has been named NCAA Division II Super Region 3 Wrestler of the Week. He won all seven matches he competed in during the week, and has a success tally of 17–1 to start the season. He recently won the 133 pound weight class at the Spokane Open, going undefeated during the tournament.

Cross Country

The SFU men’s cross country team finished 12th at the NCAA Division II nationals, their best finish ever. Sophomore Oliver Jorgensen was the highest placing member of the Clan, finishing 48th, just outside the top 40 needed to earn NCAA All-American honours. Last year, the team finished 20th.