Sports Briefs

0
413
Photo courtesy of SFU Athletics.

SFU Sports

SFU is currently ranked seventh-best school of 198 in the Division II Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup. The event ranks universities for overall athletic success via points awarded for NCAA championship finishes. SFU currently has 348 points, 30 points behind sixth place and 312 points behind Division II leaders Grand Valley State. In the previous two years that SFU was eligible, they placed 36th and 32nd. The final results will be released April 2.

Football

Eight Clan football players are headed to the CFL Combines this week: wide receiver Lemar Durant, running back/defensive back Chris Tolbert, wide receiver Bobby Pospischil, defensive back Matt Isherwood, wide receiver Kyle Kawamoto, defensive lineman Kristian Lawrence, running back Cole Tudor, and wide receiver Bibake Uppal. Durant and Isherwood are headed directly to the national combines in Toronto, while the other six are headed to the regional combine in Edmonton, AB on Monday where they will vie for a spot at the national combine.

Softball

On Friday, March 13, SFU’s softball team split a doubleheader against the Western Oregon Wolves. The first game marked the Clan’s first Great Northwest Athletic Conference victory at 5–3, while they narrowly lost the second game 6–5. “We stole one and we blew one,” head coach Mike Renney told SFU Athletics. “A split on the road is always welcome but right now we are riding an emotional rollercoaster that comes with a young team.”

Women’s Golf

Over last Thursday and Friday, the women’s golf team competed at the Augustana Spring Fling in Palm Desert, CA. SFU finished a collective +114, earning ninth place. Sophomore Erin Farner and freshman Breanna Coxen tied for the lowest score on the team with 169 strokes (+25), achieving 31st place.

With files from SFU Athletics