Sports Briefs

0
451

Cross-Country

The Clan cross-country teams competed in the Stanford Invitational on Saturday, October 66 in Palo Alto, CA. The men’s team placed third in their respective class, while the women placed second behind Chico State. Rebecca Bassett finished fourth among non-Division I competitors to lead the women’s team, while freshman Marc-Antoine Rouleau led the men’s team.

Women’s Soccer

The SFU women’s soccer team lost a tight game in overtime to the Western Washington Vikings Thursday night. The Clan were able to hang in for a scoreless 95 minutes before the Vikings put one past freshman goalkeeper Priya Sandhu, who made seven saves in an otherwise perfect night. With the loss — their first GNAC loss — they are now 2-1 in conference play.

Men’s Golf

Over the weekend, the SFU’s men’s golf team competed in the Golfweek Division II Fall Invitational held at the Crosswater Golf Course in Sunrise, OR. Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) rivals Western Washington and Saint Martin’s also played.

GNAC Honours

Clan athletes Chris Crisologo, Rebecca Bassett, and Madeline Hait were named GNAC athletes of the week for the week of October 62-28. Crisologo is a member of the men’s golf team while Hait plays on the volleyball team. Bassett received her award for her performance at the Stanford Invitational.

Cancer Battle

A fundraiser was held at the Academic Public House on Sunday for former SFU football captain and 1996 Calgary Stampeders draft pick, David Lane, who was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year. The money will be used to help Lane seek treatment options outside of Canada.

With files from SFU Athletics and GNAC Sports