SFU football earn first home win of 2013

0
454

WEB-football-adam ovenell-carter

The Clan football team is finally back in the win column following their domination of Humboldt State University in their second last game of the season.

SFU earned their third win of 2013, and their first home victory of the season beating the Lumberjacks 38–17 on Terry Fox Field. In a cold evening match-up, the Clan held a 24-0 lead at the half after a dominant performance from their defensive line, shutting the 2012 GNAC champions out handily.

Senior Casey Chin led the defense with 15 tackles and three sacks on the night, earning him the GNAC Red Lion Defensive Player of the Week award. Mitchell Barnett added 10 tackles of his own to the Clan’s efforts, as the defense allowed 15 points less than their season average.

The Clan offence returned to form in the game, with star running-back Chris Tolbert opening the scoring with an eight yard touch-down run. He would score one other touchdown in the game, running for 153 yards on the evening. It was senior wide-receiver Tore Corrado with the highlight of the night however, returning a Humboldt State kickoff 99-yards for his second touchdown of the season. Quarterback Ryan Stanford also had a good night with two touchdowns and 220 yards through the air. One of those marked the first touchdown for wide receiver Lemar Durant since the season opener, after an injury kept him on the sideline for six games.

The Clan men will close their 2013 campaign at home facing the 2013 GNAC Champions from Asuza Pacific University. The 3–6 Clan will look to boost their season record to a respectable 4-6, as they host their annual Seniors Game, honouring athletes who will finish their eligibility as of that game. To earn the win, the Clan will need to pull together as a team and fire on all cylinders to pull off an upset victory and close out a disappointing 2013 with a bang.