Clan split doubleheader against Broncos

0
489

The Clan women’s basketball team opened their 2013 non-conference season with a split weekend in California. After travelling south for their second road trip of the season, the ladies swapped wins with the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos, in two thrilling games.

In the first game of the doubleheader, the visitors fell by two points, despite an exciting second half comeback that showcased their ability as a team. The Clan started shaky, falling behind by 12 points before the half, shooting only 38 per cent from the floor. But in the second half they staged a period-long comeback, tying the game at 64 with just over two minutes to play.

The Broncos were able to shut them out over the final few minutes, taking the first match of the double header 66–64. Senior Rebecca Langmead earned her first double-double of the season, keeping the Clan in the game with 15 points and 17 rebounds on the night, while co-captain Erin Chambers led the Clan with 20 points. The loss gave the
Clan plenty of motivation for round two.

Less than 24-hours later, the two teams hit the floor for a rematch, both one game stronger, and more knowledgeable about the other. This time it was the Clan who were able to hold off their opponents, winning 73–64. Chambers again led the Clan offence, with 21 points in the game.

For the second straight night, SFU started slower than they would have liked, leading by only one point at the half. In the second period, however, the team came to play, holding the Broncos to 25 per cent shooting from the floor, and dominating the boards in the final 20 minutes. Sophomore Meg Wilson led the Clan in rebounds with ten, while senior Marie-Line Petit brought her experience to the Clan’s campaign finishing with 14 points, six assists, four rebounds and three steals on the night.

The Clan will continue their non-conference schedule at home on Nov. 22, hosting two games against the San Francisco State Gators as well asanother doubleheader against the Academy of Art Urban Nights next  weekend. These non-conference games will help prepare the ladies for their Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) season which opens against their cross-border and GNAC championship rivals, Western Washington; the Clan will need all the preparation they can manage.

The Vikings visit the Clan on Dec. 7 for what will prove to be a telling game for the rest of the season. SFU and WWU were ranked third and fourth in the pre-season conference poll respectively, and the Clan will be looking to demonstrate their capabilities in their GNAC opener and set the tone for the remainder of the 2013-14 season.