University Briefs – March 4, 2013

0
447

By Amara Janssens

UBC student found dead in LA hotel’s water tank

Los Angeles police have confirmed that the body of missing UBC student Elisa Lam has been found inside Cecil’s Hotel’s rooftop water tank. Lam, 21, was reported missing on Feb. 1, after being last seen in the hotel on Jan. 31. Investigators do not yet know the cause of death, or how long she has been in the water tank, but are awaiting test results. LAPD are also unsure how she got onto the hotel’s roof, as the door to the roof is locked and alarmed, leaving the fire escape as the only non-alarmed route. In the meantime, health officials have warned not to drink the hotel’s water.

With files from The Ubyssey

Quebec language police and the word “pasta”

On Feb. 20 the Office Quebecois de la Langue Francaise (OQLF) told a Montreal italian restaurant that the english word “pasta” needed to be removed from the menu. According to the OQLF, the menu needed to have the french translation of “pasta” as it was violating Quebec’s Language Charter. The restaurant owner, Massimo Lecas, questioned their methods. “The fact they didn’t circle pizza, it heightens it to another level where it was absurd because why would you circle one but not the other,” said Lecas to The Concordian. After public outcry, OQLF released a statement saying that the word “pasta” is acceptable..

With files from The Concordian

Teen pregnancy rates up 35.7 per cent in Newfoundland and Labrador

Sex Information and Education Council of Canada has reported an increase of 35.7 per cent in the number of teen pregnancies in NL between 2006 and 2010, compared to the national increase average of 1.1 per cent. Planned Parenthood Newfoundland and Labrador’s Sexual Health Centre state that socioeconomic factors play a significant role in the rising numbers, citing a provincial lack in education and career prospects for young women. Access to birth control is an ongoing problem in rural areas of NL, combined with the lack of abortion clinics, with only two in the province.

With files from The Muse