Clan women keep on rolling

0
401

SFU defeats Trinity Western, ready for 2013

By Bryan Scott

Simon Fraser’s women’s basketball team was in action one last time before ringing in the 2013 schedule. They hosted the Trinity Western Spartans and handled them with ease in front of 130 fans.

It took about five minutes for the Clan to shake off their holiday legs. The Spartans took the lead by three before the Clan awoke from their slumber. The next several minutes saw the Clan build up a 10-point lead, 25–15, with just over seven minutes left in the first half. They maintained their play to have a nine-point edge at the end of the half.

The Clan kept pressing in the second half. They increased their lead to 34 points in the first 10 minutes of the half. The Clan defense shut down the Spartans, and secured a 87–55 win for SFU, and improved their season record to 9–1.

Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe made history during this game with her 24 rebounds, which is a new Great Northwest Athletic Conference record. She is one of 10 players to ever get at least 20 rebounds in a single game. However, she is already on that list from last season, when she put up 22 rebounds in a game in 2011. She also put up 23 points in the game, leading to her sixth double-double of the season, putting her career total to 47. She was rewarded for her efforts; Raincock-Ekunwe was named the Red Lion Player of the Week in the GNAC. The team has also been ranked ninth in the USA Today Top 25 poll; they are the highest ranked team in the GNAC.