Lions on top at halfway point

0
454

By Bryan Scott

Lions (6–2) look to continue their success as second half of the season rolls

The BC Lions look like a team that knows what they’re doing as they sit on top of the Western Conference and the entire Canadian Football League with a 6–2 record, other than two early losses to Edmonton (27–14) and Saskatchewan (23–20), the Lions have looked calm and ready, but able to pounce at the right time to grind out some important wins.
They look better than they did at last year’s midseason, when they were just climbing out of the basement of the league. This could be an indication the Lions are ready and eager to repeat as the CFL champs. Despite being the best team in the league, they do not dominate individual stats by any means. Keron Williams is the only one to lead a stats category with seven sacks in eight games.

They have relied on their special teams and the patience of Travis Lulay to pull out some late game heroics. Last week’s win over Winnipeg was no exception when Paul McCallum hit a 41-yard field goal with no time left to seal the deal 23–20. As the second half of the season comes around the rest of the team will need to pull together in order to secure top spot.

The Lions travel to meet the Montreal Alouettes (5–3, 1st in the Eastern Conference) to begin a home and home series, which will continue September 8th at BC Place. These teams do not like each other so it will be an exciting two weeks of football.