Chinatown screenings bring communities together

Exploring Chinatown’s place and perspectives in a changing cityscape

0
17
A black hanging sign with a big “M” in the middle and the words “Massy Arts Society” written on the bottom.
PHOTO: Amirul Anirban / The Peak

By: Yasmin Hassan, Staff Writer

Dimmed neon signs, muted red lamp posts, the Millenium Gate, faded Chinese lettering on fenced panes of glass, and weathered buildings; these are all characteristics of a modern-day Chinatown. While the gnarled grips of gentrification have changed the physical pieces of Chinatown, part of this community’s rich culture remains buried under the rubble. Chinatown Today — an organization that aims to share Chinatown’s stories — is holding free movie nights on October 4 and November 8, showcasing films that provide opportunities for “building intercultural and intergenerational relationships.” These will be held at the Massy Arts Society, a quaint studio that hosts intimate nights of watching eye-opening and endearing films.

I got a chance to watch Julia Kwan’s Everything Will Be, which is a documentary-style film looking at denizens of Chinatown and exploring a moment in time when gentrification was beginning to plant its roots in the community. The film delves into the stories of people from all walks of life, young and old. From artists to business owners, to property developers and street vendors, Kwan takes a broad scope of the town’s society in all its complexity. For some, Chinatown is a home away from home, with many of its inhabitants coming from various parts of the Chinese diaspora. The film not only showcases the intricate and heartwarming culture of Chinatown, but also how new developments, gentrification, and neglect from the government has minimized the impact of a Chinatown that has met its full potential. 

Coincidentally, I met one of the people from the film: Ken Lum, an aspiring artist who aims to bring awareness and dialogue to Chinatown’s culture. The film shows Lum in his studio, with many of the area’s occupants coming to interact with his art. Whether it be neighbourhood kids or the trusted security guard, his work was and is an homage to the people and their stories. “My hope was to be able to bring dialogue and action in preserving and celebrating Chinatown heritage,” Lum told The Peak.

As many might say, what makes Chinatown Chinatown, is its rich culture, history, and cherished memories for those who frequent the abode. “Childhood memories of spending time with my family here, munching on the tasty food, pining over the cool exotic toys from Asia, and dodging the crowded streets on the weekend while my parents did their shopping,” Lum said on what makes Chinatown special for him. 

After the film, there was a short presentation by some of our very own SFU alumni. Firm Kongthong and Nick Cheung are working on a project they started during their studies, but are now able to fulfill to the fullest. Their project uses AI and predictive design to imagine a modern Chinatown in an idealized view. 

“The overarching purpose of the project will be to leverage the overall appeal of Vancouver’s Chinatown and its heritage by creating conversations within the community of Vancouver,” they said in their presentation. In a statement to The Peak, Cheung described their initial project and how they created an exhibition-style presentation showcasing the uncanny future of Chinatown’s gentrification. “The money within the red pockets would be replaced by eviction notices from the city of Vancouver to represent the growing cost of rent,” Cheung explained. “We both are trying to understand more about the Chinatown community from all age groups and their perspectives,” Kongthong mentioned as the project is in the research phase, transitioning from “a two-person perspective project into a community-based project created by two designers.” 

Avoiding gentrification and washing away rich culture is a keypoint for many, as it should be for most. “While I don’t think it’s entirely possible to bring back the same Chinatown as it was in the ‘80s when it was thriving, I think aiming for the communal hub essence should be a vital part when discussing the future of what Chinatown would or should be like,” Cheung said while discussing paths forward. Lum also urged everyone “to bring awareness to the value of preserving and celebrating Chinatown, and partnering with developers who share that same value.” 

Modernity will always clash with antiquity, but I believe that Chinatown will do just fine balancing both against all odds. Honouring the past, celebrating the present, and planning for an auspicious future is possible with the help of regular people and those in power working together to find a cohesive balance of then and now. 

Reserve a free ticket to see Chungking Express (1994) on October 4 and a short film showcase on November 4.