What Grinds Our Gears: Packing for a local getaway

Last-minute luggage or nothing!

0
330
Illustration of someone looking frustratedly at a calendar with all the days crossed off. They are holding a full to-do list.
ILLUSTRATION: Cliff Ebora / The Peak

By: Hailey Miller, Staff Writer

I love a nice, local stay-cation. There’s nothing better than being a tourist in your own town. What really gets me, though, is that no matter where I go I still have to pack. Who has time for that? Don’t even get me started on international adventures — packing for a quick trip to Vancouver Island, Skwelk̓wélt (Sun Peaks), or Skwiḵw (Whistler Mountain) is bad enough. 

Firstly, since the weather changes in the blink of an eye it makes me question what I even need to pack. Do I pack a swimsuit to take a dip in the ocean, and a parka for the same trip just in case a sudden cold snap of blustery winds makes its debut on the shoreline? What about the mountains? Sure, they’re full of snow and cold in the winter, but that doesn’t mean I should forget sunscreen! Not to mention if I hit the slopes in the summer I better prepare for quite the heat rush and more mosquitoes than a swamp. Bug spray, packed away, anyone? 

I need a separate suitcase for every season, which is applicable for every stay-cation. As a lifelong last-minute packer, I never know what kind of curveball is going to be thrown my way, so I pack it all, or not nearly enough to get through the first day of my getaway. Who thought they’d need to rent a U-Haul just for all the excessive packing? I might as well bring everything but the kitchen sink!