Campus shopping experiences at New Gen Markets

Find this market at UBC, SFU, and beyond

0
404
A rack of colourful clothing perched under a tent in front of a skytrain station.
PHOTO: Courtesy of Amrit Kamaal / The Peak

By: Amrit Kamaal, Peak Associate

Step into a cute and quaint world of shopping at New Gen Markets! Many SFU students may already be familiar with this market, as they’ve set up stalls on the Burnaby campus many times this year. One too many times I’ve been late to lectures, work, or even missed a bus due to these small businesses’ alluring products. As “a new generation of small biz’s uniting,” this market provides opportunities for shoppers, vendors, and those looking to build connections with one another.

Every few weeks, New Gen Markets will park themselves at a new or frequented area to give their customers an opportunity to shop in a variety of settings. Their locations vary from being in the city’s most populated areas, such as Robson Street, to universities such as UBC and SFU. I visited their marketplace on June 9 at Surrey Civic Centre. There were so many wonderful stalls to check out such as fine jewellery from Juve Collection and AW DESIGNS, as well as divine handmade candles by Loft & Light Atelier. Juve Collection is an AQ staple and the perfect place to grab accessories like a gold pendant or delicate leg chain to spruce up your outfit before heading to class.

You can satisfy your hunger with some of New Gen’s foodie favs like delicious cookies from Connie’s Cravings, drinks from the popular mobile tap bar The Rollin’ Taps, and mouthwatering elotes (Mexican grilled corn) from Los Elotes, a reoccurring must-have. Many of these food stalls also offer pre-made snacks, such as pastries and cookies, which are perfect for indulging in mid-transit ride.

What sets New Gen apart from other markets is its modern, trendy vibe and aesthetic. It combines elements of traditional flea markets while supplying unique and innovative products focusing on the most recent or popular fads.”

Each of these businesses have their own story and sustainable practices, from handpicked ingredients to reselling new items from older materials. New Gen combines elements of traditional flea markets while supplying unique products focusing on the most recent or popular fads, and brings them to university campuses for students to check out in their free time. Products can range from sporty, hand-picked fashion must-haves at Baldylox Thrifts to reusable press-ons from Kelly’s Choice.

New Gen’s other business, New Gen Social, hosts events to help entrepreneurs and business networks flourish through immersive experiences. They launched their first “Mix and Mingle” event in May, where business owners can connect.​​ They also offer appetizers and a free drink — the only requirement is to purchase a ticket through Eventbrite

It’s great having markets like these located only steps away from our lecture halls — taking a short break to peruse some local products might introduce you to your next favourite local business! Don’t fret if you missed their visits to SFU, as you can sign up to their newsletter and follow their Instagram to get notified of the next pop-ups to add to your calendar.