What Grinds Our Gears: Midday due dates

I promise it’s not procrastination

0
298
PHOTO: Steinar Engeland / Unsplash

By: Amanda Taylor, SFU Student

The dreaded midday due date has been encountered by most students at some point in our degrees. Assignments with a due date of anything before 11:59 p.m. should be illegal. Maybe I sound entitled, but midnight is almost always the standard for assignments in university. That’s why it’s so easy to miss a freakin’ 12:00 p.m. deadline that your oddball professor has decided is perfectly reasonable. 

Look, I would love to have more time on my hands — but please don’t punish me for being employed! I promise you won’t even notice the difference between a 12:00 a.m. and p.m. deadline. I mean, my homework skills are so impeccable that you probably can’t even tell my assignment was finished the day of. Probably. I might even change the date to a couple days prior so it looks like I started it earlier. 

Most of us opt to complete our assignments in the evening because that’s our spare time. Maybe these deadlines are related to a professor’s schedule, but I’d honestly rather have an assignment due a day earlier if it means I don’t have to do homework in the morning. You may be thinking, “Why don’t you just start it well ahead of time so you don’t have to finish your homework the day it’s due?” And to that I say, “I’ll have to get back to you when I’m less busy.”