Need to Know, Need to Go: Free events at BC Culture Days

Free cultural events you won’t want to miss

0
906
Illustration of a blue calendar, with
Arts & Culture events to catch around the city. Image courtesy of Brianna Quan

By: Saije Rusimovici, Staff Writer

BC Culture Days brings over 350 community-centred events across the province. The programming artists appointed by the organization are “dedicated to making art that is accessible, approachable, and inclusive to all.” Each event offers a unique way to experience art, from interactive exhibitions to artistic workshops. 

Interactive Exhibition: Lost & Found

Where: Grunt Gallery, 116 350 E 2nd Avenue, Vancouver
When: Saturday, Sep 23,10:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Accessibility: Free with optional pay-what-you may donations upon admission. Offered in English and Mandarin. Wheelchair accessible, gender-neutral washrooms, and offers audio description. ASL translated video installation. 

Visual artist and art educator, Peisen Ding, is presenting an interactive exhibition at the Grunt Gallery this month, using mixed media to share “an artistic way of finding inner peace through courage and love from being disoriented in life.” The artist unravels his experience “living in between diverse cultures, identities, and disabilities” as a queer immigrant. Through a visual representation of their journey, Ding “shares an artistic way of finding inner peace, courage, and love.” Audience members are encouraged to reflect on their own lived experiences through the interactive parts of the show. 

Indonesian Batik Making Introduction to Traditional Method

Where: Consulate General of The Republic of Indonesia, 1630 Alberni St, Vancouver
When: Monday, Oct 2, 11:00 a.m.12:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m.3:00 p.m.
Accessibility: Pay-what-you may donations upon admission. Offered in English, Japanese, and Indonesian. Wheelchair accessible, gender neutral washrooms, relaxed performance. 

Batik fabric, a traditional Indonesian textile, is created using several tools and dyeing techniques dating back to nearly 2,000 years ago. Today, the art of Batik is crafted all over the world, however it’s particularly influential in Javanese culture, as patterns and motifs are used for specific purposes. Batik designs can often be used for celebrating nature, signifying social class, and recording history. In this introductory workshop, learn how to use a canting tool to design patterns by hand. Through this process, you will also learn about how Batik patterns can tell stories. 

Coquitlam Public Library’s Indigenous Film Festival

Where: Poirier Library, 575 Poirier St, Coquitlam
When: Wednesday, Sep 27, 6:00 p.m.8:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m.5:30 p.m, and Friday, Sep 29, 12:00 p.m.4:30 p.m.
Accessibility: Wheelchair accessible. Gender-neutral washrooms.

Visit the Coquitlam Public Library for its first annual Indigenous Film Festival featuring a variety of films emphasizing the histories, cultures, and experiences of Indigenous peoples. On Wednesday, learn from Indigenous narratives through a selection of documentaries and short films. A feature-length film will be showcased on Friday, followed by a Q&A session with a film industry professional. While these events are open to all ages, Wednesday’s feature length presentation is intended for audiences over the age of 14. Viewer discretion is advised for all films as some of the films cover sensitive topics. 

Remix Family Photos

Where: Clayton Community Centre, 7155 187A Street, Surrey 
When: Saturday, Sep 23, 1:00 p.m.5:00 p.m.

If you love scrapbooking, this event is for you. Transform old photographs into beautiful pieces of art in this creative workshop that celebrates cultural diversity and family history. You’ll learn photo-enhancing techniques using watercolour paints to bring new life to your favourite family photos. This workshop will inspire you to connect with your roots through an immersive experience that’ll bring out your artsy side. 

BC Culture Days runs from September 22–October 15 across British Columbia. Visit their website to learn more about events in your area.