Five series to watch based on your favourite cult classics

From comedy to drama to crime, find your next binge-worthy show

0
540
Four library staff with pronounced facial expressions in a library office.
PHOTO: Courtesy of CTV

By: Payal R., SFU Student

If you liked Abbott Elementary (2021), you may like Shelved (2023)
Where to watch: CTV 
Number of seasons: 1
Genre: Comedy

CTV’s Shelved is a single-camera workplace sitcom that follows a group of librarians in Parkdale, a working class neighbourhood in Toronto. The library is managed by Wendy Yarmouth (Lyndie Greenwood), an upbeat and overly sweet head librarian who searches for creative solutions to keep her underfunded branch afloat. Similar to Abbott Elementary’s Janine Teagues (Quinta Brunson), Wendy finds herself stuck in situations she’s dug herself into, albeit with good intentions. Whether it’s organizing a Women’s Day bookshelf or a collective community mural, Wendy often exhausts herself from overthinking. She relies on quirky co-workers to keep her grounded, from a quick-witted and aspiring writer, to a loud-mouthed assistant manager, a heartbroken new transfer, and an easygoing business consultant with very little business to manage. Shelved manages to highlight structural, socio-political issues using humour so viewers can see the importance of supporting public libraries. It’s also uplifting to watch with the ease of knowing everything will work out in the end, with heartwarming characters who become like family.

If you liked Arrested Development (2003), you may like Succession (2018)
Where to watch: HBO (Crave)
Number of seasons: 4
Genre: Drama

HBO’s Succession is a satirical drama that follows the employees of Waystar RoyCo, a multimedia company founded by Logan Roy (Brian Cox). This family-led business shares a similar dynamic to Arrested Development as it begs the question of who will run the family company when their aging father’s health declines. Like George Bluth Sr., Logan Roy has sunk the company into a great amount of debt which causes his power-hungry son to take charge. The Roy siblings include an eccentric older brother, a conniving workaholic, an immature playboy, and a smart and savvy sister trying to prove her worth, all joined by their needy cousin Greg. Similar to the Bluth siblings, the Roy family struggles to find common ground between each other which results in poor negotiation of company contracts. If you know nothing about the stock market, it’s okay: Succession is just 27% more serious than Arrested Development

If you liked Columbo (1971), you may like Poker Face (2023)
Where to watch: NBC Peacock, Citytv+ via Prime Video
Number of seasons: 1
Genre: Crime drama

If anyone over the age of 55 is reading this and has watched Columbo, NBC’s Poker Face is a crime mystery that reimagines the classic WhoDunIt — while we know who’s done it from the start. The series is led by Charlie Cale (Natasha Lyonne), a sarcastic but tough casino server who possesses the ability to tell when people are lying. When Charlie is unknowingly entangled with her employer’s shady business, she is forced to flee and seek odd jobs to support herself. Similar to Columbo, this case-of-the-week series starts off with the crime and follows up with Charlie’s investigation, illustrating how she pieces evidence together to find the culprit. The series is created by Knives Out director, Rian Johnson, and includes a stellar guest cast in the first season, like Orange is the New Black’s Dascha Polanco.

If you liked Insecure (2016), you may like Sort Of (2021)
Where to watch: CBC Gem
Number of seasons: 2
Genre: Dramedy

CBC Gem’s Sort Of follows Sabi Mehboob (Bilal Baig), a non-binary Pakistani-Canadian millennial who balances life as a bartender and babysitter in Toronto. In the first season, Sabi tries to navigate their relationship with the children they babysit after their mom falls into a coma. This propels Sabi to reconcile their own relationship with their mother. Similar to Issa Dee from Insecure, Sabi experiences the highs and lows life has to offer all while trying to combat cultural and gendered expectations placed upon them in a heartwarming and hilarious way. Writer and actor Baig told The Star, “I think what I love about this form of art the most is that it kind of proves that people are complicated and love often is too.”

If you liked The Society (2019), you may like Yellowjackets (2021)
Where to watch: Showtime, Crave
Number of seasons: 2
Genre: Drama

Inspired by William Golding’s novel, Lord of the Flies, Showtime’s Yellowjackets follows a high school girls’ soccer team who become stranded in the woods after a plane crash in which they must learn how to survive without any parental supervision. The show’s narrative shifts from the time of their plane crash, sometime during the ‘90s, to the present, 25 years later. As they attempt to reconcile and cope with their complicated cannibalistic past, a journalist starts snooping into their lives. The adult cast features a sharp-witted housewife, a senator suffering from insomnia, a sarcastic burnout, and a sickeningly sweet nurse with attachment issues. If you liked seeing the way anarchy plays out amongst a diverse cast of characters and theorizing what actually happened in the wilderness in The Society, Yellowjackets is your show.