Coming Up at SFU: January 14–23

We spotlight four free events coming up at SFU.

0
545

By: Ben McGuinness, Peak Associate

Every week there are diverse events, workshops, and lectures available to students across the SFU campuses. We’ve rounded up four upcoming free events that you should definitely check out!

Map the System Challenge Mixer

Map the System is a global competition where students engage with big issues that matter to them, including climate change. Hosted by the University of Oxford, students are encouraged to focus on learning about the complexities of their chosen issue rather than competing for the best proposed solution. If this sounds interesting to you, start by coming to the mixer to learn more and to meet fellow students who just might become your teammates in the competition.

The Map the System Mixer is a free event for all students in any faculty, but make sure to register ahead of time. It will take place at the Surrey campus from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, January 14, and at the Burnaby campus from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, January 16.

Multi-Language Café

The Intercultural Engagement Team is hosting the Multi-Language Café, where students can learn some basic words in diverse languages and sample the unique foods of each culture! This time around there will be lessons in French, Vietnamese, Hindi, and Cantonese.

The café will take place at the Burnaby campus on Wednesday, January 15th, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. for Hindi and Cantonese, and 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. for French and Vietnamese. The event is free with registration, so visit the event page to find out more and register now!

City Conversations: A City Without Artists

Vancouver is home to many talented artists, yet gentrification has made it harder for them to live in the city and maintain studio space for their work. How do we prevent the demand for new condos and retail space from pushing out the artists at the heart of our culture? The City of Vancouver and other organizations are working to address the issue. At this event, join three individuals involved with the studios, cooperatives, and non-profits that are grappling with the challenge to create space for artists. Attendees are invited to ask questions and provide feedback as they listen to the guest speakers.

This discussion, put on by SFU Public Square, will take place at SFU Harbour Centre at 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, January 16. The event is free with registration.

Salish Singing and Drumming Workshop

As per the school’s Reconciliation at SFU report, SFU strives to recognise and celebrate the history and culture of the Indigenous peoples whose traditional territory SFU occupies. The Salish Singing and Drumming Workshop is a great way to do that through the powerful medium of song. Attendees will join in traditional Salish singing and drumming while learning about the stories and history that underlie them. The event will be led by traditional Lil’wat singer Russell Wallace.

The workshop will take place at SFU’s Goldcorp Centre for the Arts (downtown) from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Thursday, January 23. Participation is free and registration is recommended.