SFU Explorations Day welcomes Burnaby high school students to campus

Event offers glimpse of the university experience to younger students

0
627
SFU News

By: Kitty Cheung, Staff Writer

As part of the Burnaby Festival of Learning, SFU hosted a day for high school students this past week that offered a change of pace. SFU Explorations Day, an event geared towards Burnaby high school students, occurred at the Burnaby campus on May 7.

This day-long event featured a variety of workshops, with all eight SFU faculties and the library participating to run lessons that let students explore potential paths and post-secondary opportunities for the future.

With 54 classes to choose from, participants selected their own courses, similar to how SFU students are able to organize their own schedules. Workshops covered topics such as programming with Pepper the humanoid robot, making liquid nitrogen ice-cream, learning about anthropology using video games, competing in an egg-drop competition, and more.

Beginning in 2016, the Burnaby Festival of Learning has been held annually and has included programming for high schools each year. Although the name has changed several times, this year marks the fourth iteration of SFU Explorations Day. Starting with 100 students in its pilot year, the 2019 event has now garnered 340 student registrations.

Alison Chan, co-chair of the Burnaby Festival of Learning and the main organizer behind SFU Explorations Day, spoke with The Peak through an email interview.

According to Chan, the event is a “way for [high school students] to explore subject areas- where they may not be exposed to, find opportunities, and experience the possibilities and options with post-secondary education – and hopefully at SFU.”

Chan also recounted that, in a meeting with the Faculty of Science, she was told that the event was important because some schools may lack enough equipment to run certain science activities with their students.

“For example, not all schools have a microscope for each student, there are instances where five to six students have to share one microscope. Things like this really make a difference in learning for the students, also for the teachers that are supervising,” she elaborated.

Organizers have been planning this event since November 2018. It’s been a long six months, Chan says.

“All 8 faculties and the library have been really enthusiastic and supportive of this day. It is a lot of work, but in the end, you see their reactions, how much they loved and enjoyed the various classes and workshops offered.”

For future SFU Explorations Day participants, Chan advises to “come with an open mind and be ready to explore.”