Need to Know, Need to Go: May 12–17

0
551

By: Alison Wick, Arts Editor

qaʔ yəxw – water honours us: womxn and waterways at the Bill Reid Gallery

This summer, the featured exhibition at the Bill Reid gallery is curated by four members of the Indigenous women’s art collective ReMatriate. It portrays a unique connection between Indigenous women of the Northwest Coast and water through video, photography, carving, beading, and printmaking.

The Bill Reid gallery was established in 2008, 10 years after the death of its namesake, as a space to showcase and honour Indigenous Northwest Coast art. The Bill Reid SFU art collection is on permanent display at the gallery, which you can access in addition to their temporary featured exhibitions.

As Indigenous communities fight non-consensual resource exploitation and continued boil water advisories, qaʔ yəxw is a timely and provocative look at what water really means. It asks us to consider our responsibilities to water, land, and the Peoples who have lived and cared for these territories since time immemorial.

This exhibition began on April 10 and will continue until October 2, 2019, at the Bill Reid Gallery in Downtown Vancouver. Entrance is free for SFU students.

SFU Lunch Poems at the Teck Gallery

On the third Wednesday of every month, SFU Vancouver brings two poets to the Teck Gallery to perform and share their poetry with the SFU community. These hour-long lunchtime poetry readings are free and open to anyone with some time to spare and an ear to lend.

This month, SFU is featuring Joseph A. Dandurand (Kwantlen) and Elee Kraljii — two local artists whose work is deeply rooted in the people and politics of the Lower Mainland. SFU Lunch Poems are a not-to-be-missed midday break for poetry that will add to your day a perfect breath of art and culture.

SFU Lunch Poems May 2019 are Wednesday May 15 from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. in the Teck gallery on the first floor of SFU Harbour Centre downtown. Attendance is free.