What grinds our gears: Bathroom talkers

0
551
Illustration by Jarielle Lim/ The Peak

Written by: Tiffany Chang, 

There is no doubt in my mind that every SFU student has experienced rush-hour traffic in the halls on campus. Seeing thousands of sleep-deprived, young adults pouring out through classroom doors isn’t anything new.

While I usually don’t have a problem weaving through the crowds, there’s one kind of crowding I absolutely cannot stand. It’s when the washrooms are just as littered with people, yet some individuals are inconsiderate enough to carry on full-fledged conversations at the sinks even after they’ve finished doing their business, blocking others who need to use them.

To clarify, I have nothing against speaking to someone while hands are being washed. If anything, it actually puts a smile on my face whenever I see friends bump into each other during a break . . . at least, when it’s a short exchange and they aren’t keeping everyone else from washing up and leaving.

If it’s a more extensive interaction, take it elsewhere, specifically when washrooms start feeling like sardine cans! There are so many places besides a wall of sinks to have a giant conversation. If someone begins a discussion in the washroom with you and you notice more people coming in, please ask or signal the other person to talk more after the two of you leave. The rest of us have places to be and hands to wash.