SFU’s men soccer puts five goals past Saint Martin’s

0
488
Adam Jones (#10) had two goals and two assists in the game.

The 2016–17 season has been a bright one for the SFU men’s soccer team so far.

The Clan blew up Saint Martin’s defence and showed goalkeeper Griffin Small no mercy. Five goals from Adam Jones, Mamadi Camara, and Magnus Kristensen sent SFU’s men’s soccer team on its way to a thumping victory after a recent draw against the Western Washington Vikings. The Clan, currently ranked first in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC), was astonishing offensively.

Midfielder Jones had an incredible performance, netting two goals and two assists. Camara also notched two goals, while defender Kristensen scored the first goal of the contest.

Saint Martin’s University’s (SMU) nightmare started 17 minutes in, with Kristensen directing a high volley under an assist by Jones, and scoring his first goal of the season.

Coach Clint Schneider reflected on Kristensen’s performance: “For Magnus to get a goal, of course, it’s awesome. I’d love for him to get goals. We have an award in our change room called ‘The Grumpiest Man of the Year Award,’ and he’s [Kristensen] won that award [. . .] Hopefully, it’ll turn his frown upside down after that goal.”

Schneider also commented on goalkeeper Brandon Watson, who recently became GNAC’s all-time leader in shutouts. “What an incredible career,” said Schneider. “We’re pretty lucky to have a guy like that.”

Camara deployed his magic in the last minutes of the first half. Jones powered through the midfield, assisting Camara with a long lob pass. Camara cut past SMU’s defence and did not hesitate to fire the ball in the empty net.

Five minutes into the second half, captain Ryan Dhillon raced in the right flank before firing the ball to Jones, who deflected a perfect shot past Griffin Small. Jones scored his second goal less than a minute later. Thirty minutes before the final buzzer, Camara and Dhillon combined for a strong finish. Camara delivered a low ball just inside the right post.

Freshman Riley Pang, who’s scored three goals this season, was injured during the game’s performance. Schneider expects him to be able to play at the next game on October 27.

Schneider acknowledged his players’ explosive comeback. “We talked about making sure of a bounce-back. We are pleased as a coaching staff. We didn’t play to our ability against Western Washington. I’m glad that we came back. It’s all about commitment and I continue to trust them.

“At the end of the day, it’s just about wins,” said Schneider. “I am very pleased with the performance. That’s exactly what we’re trying to get out of the guys at this point,” he added.

The team is currently one of the four unbeaten teams in the NCAA Division II. The Clan will now take on the Montana State University Billings Yellowjackets on October 27 at 7 p.m.