Ten TV shows coming to you soon

0
721
Jake Peralta (Andy Samberg) is the centre of all the antics that happen in the nine-nine.

Many things experience a summer hiatus — such as school, The Peak, or your favourite TV shows. While I’m sure we’re all looking forward to a nice break before Fall semester kicks off, there are a lot of great shows coming in September and beyond. Below are 10 of the best shows renewed for late 2016 and early 2017.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) – Ongoing

While this critically acclaimed series is continuing through the summer, it’s important to note that the series was renewed for a fourth season. Both season three and four will contain a whopping 35 episodes each. For those who have not seen any of the insanely popular video clips on Facebook, this news satire series offers some of the best commentary on current world affairs, on TV or elsewhere. Catch it Sunday nights on HBO — or in YouTube’s suggested videos.

Running Wild with Bear Grylls (NBC) – Season 3 premieres on August 1

This show is insane. Bear Grylls, a British survivalist, takes celebrities into the wilderness and makes them, well, survive. Not only does he get really famous people — President Obama was on the program this past December — but the things they do truly are dangerous. Zac Efron slept on the edge of a cliff, Channing Tatum helped kill a rattlesnake; honestly, the insurance budget must be through the roof. The latest season kicks off with Julianne Hough on August 1 and Nick Jonas on August 2.

Dancing with the Stars (ABC) – Season 23 premieres on September 12

Admittedly, this show is more exciting if, like me, you have a bit of a background in dance. However, Dancing with the Stars is still an amazing testament to what you can achieve when you put your mind to it. The show has seen its fair share of minor miracles: just last season, Nyle Dimarco, model and deaf activist, won the extremely close competition. As of publication time, contestants for the upcoming season have yet to be announced.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX) – Season 4 premieres on September 20

If you’re not watching this show, you are missing out. Brooklyn Nine-Nine follows Jake Peralta (Andy Samberg), a detective in the NYPD, and the rest of his squad as they encounter all sorts of mishaps. The entire cast is hilarious, and the writing spotlights Samberg’s humour as quirky rather than annoying. Catch up on previous seasons by streaming them on Netflix.

Bob’s Burgers (FOX) – Season 7 premieres on September 25

One of the best animated families on TV is back! Bob and the rest of the Belchers return with more burgers, more puns, and likely, more butts. What makes this show so great is how easy it is to relate to the characters — for example, I’m a total Louise. While facing a multitude of challenges, this group values and loves each other above all else. Tune in to see if the family can keep their failing business afloat on Sundays.

Drunk History (Comedy Central) – Season 4 premieres September 27

The premise of this show is beautifully simple: celebrities get drunk and try to tell us about historic events. What a time to be alive. Past episodes have included the Watergate scandal, the life of Mark Twain, and the invention of the bra. The upcoming season will feature Lin-Manuel Miranda retelling the ongoing feud between Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr. This show truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

The Mindy Project (Hulu) – Season 5 premieres October 4

After being dropped by FOX following its third season, the comedy created by Mindy Kaling was picked up by the streaming service Hulu, which was the best thing that could have happened to this series. While The Mindy Project had always been a bit more daring with its subject matter regarding race, sexuality, and body image than comparable shows, the show has gotten even more overt without the restrictions of cable TV. Considering the cliffhanger season 4 ended with, the premiere is sure to be full of drama — and laughs.

Hamilton’s America (PBS) – Airs October 17

While not technically a TV show, this is sure to be one of the most-watched programs of the year. The documentary is focused on the insanely popular musical Hamilton, and features interviews with prominent personalities (the Obamas, Jimmy Fallon, and Questlove, to name a few), and behind-the-scenes footage of Lin-Manuel Miranda creating the show. The documentary will also feature live footage from Broadway performances of the show that won an astounding 16 Tony awards.

Archer (FX) – Season 8 coming early 2017

Even though no release date has been set, Archer being renewed is kind of a big deal — especially since FX’s order of three more seasons will take Archer all the way into its 10th year on air. The animated series follows the world’s best secret agent, Sterling Archer, as he attempts to get drunk enough to save the day. While the show seemed to hit a bit of a slump in season 5 (Archer Vice? Really?), it has found its stride again in the last two seasons, regaining its place as one of the funniest shows on TV.

Call the Midwife (BBC) – Season 6 coming spring 2017 (in Canada)

If you’re a fan of period dramas like I am, you’ll love Call the Midwife. The series is based off the memoirs of Jennifer Worth, a midwife in the poor East End of London during the 1950s. Dramatic and witty, all past seasons have featured some of the best heartwarming, sometimes heartbreaking storylines I have ever seen. While the 2016 Christmas special is set to air on December 25 in the UK, it is unclear when the new season will be coming to Canada. If previous seasons are anything to go by, expect a premiere date sometime in the spring (around the time the finale ends in Britain).