Tokyo Swiftly: 7 days in Japan’s Capital City

0
639

[dropcap]M[/dropcap]y winter break in Tokyo can be summed up in three words: food, shopping, and claustrophobia.

My family and I spent seven days in Tokyo. . . a place that none of us had ever been to before. My parents did extensive research in the months leading up to this trip. Hours spent searching up different tourist attractions, shopping districts, modes of transit, and various types of Japanese specialty cuisine. But no amount of Google searching could prepare us for the beast that Tokyo was.

We spent our days chasing each other through crowded streets while taking in the sights, sounds and scents. I was most looking forward to trying authentic Japanese cuisine — specifically Japanese sushi.

As a Vancouver foodie, I had become so accustomed to our crazy take on sushi rolls: deep fried, covered in cheese, topped with chocolate shavings, and served with ice cream. . . the list is endless. And with mixed emotions, I can say I’ve tried them all.

Having Japanese cuisine in Tokyo was, in some ways, as if I never left home. But there were some qualities to the food that made it totally unique: massive sushi rolls that were half the size of my face, big pieces of fresh salmon from the fish market, massive bowls of ramen, and big cones of matcha green tea soft serve.

What was even more of a novelty was the fact that many restaurants have vending machines to take your order so as to facilitate efficiency. After punching in your order, you take your ticket and find a spot. Within 10 minutes, you have fresh food ready for you. . . it’s truly amazing.

In addition to the fine local cuisine, the Japanese are also quite skilled at Italian food, adding a little Japanese flair to their pasta plates. The portion were again huge, but it’s hard to complain when the food is this good.

I have been to other busy cities — New York, Hong Kong, Los Angeles — but there is something different about Tokyo

Though I didn’t come back home any lighter, my wallet lost a ton of weight. If you have a thing for unique fashions that are reasonably priced, look no further than Harajuku, loosely translated as “the original hub.” Packed with stalls that sell everything that you find in an ordinary clothing store, Harajuko stores are filled with Japanese fashion, known for being kawaii (cute). The incredibly bright and bold pieces along the Harajuku strip are a constant reminder that you will be walking away with a unique fashion that only you own. But if you are looking for something a little less flashy, consider Uniqlo, Japan’s powerhouse departmental store that boasts minimalistic and classic fashion pieces.

Alternatively, if you are more into technology and anime, check out Akihabara Electric Town. Brilliantly lit with colourful lights, it is an eclectic centre where techies, manga enthusiasts, and cosplayers come together to connect.

This being said, all the shopping does not compare to some of the beautiful sites that we took in. My family and I were able to take the Hakone ropeway, on which we had a spectacular view of Mount Fuji. We also went to see other sights like the Meiji Shrine, the Tokyo Tower, and various lesser shrines around the Tokyo area. Despite the massive wave of people, even places like the shrines were incredibly serene, enveloped in lush green forests with incredible historical architecture. Though I am not a Buddhist, I was amazed at the contrast that I was experiencing — quiet and serene temples enveloped inside massive forests, acting as a barrier from the hustle and bustle of the streets of Tokyo.

The hustle and bustle is a huge part of Tokyo’s character. I have been to other busy cities — New York, Hong Kong, Los Angeles — but there is something different about Tokyo. Tokyo was, in a word, a mess. But it only looked like a mess to us foreigners. In an endless sea of people, we stood like rocks grabbing onto the ocean floor. We had no idea where we wanted to go, and all the locals moved freely around us, paying no attention to the fact that there were five people just standing in the middle of the subway station, staring blankly at the colourful train map. As we crossed intersections and wove through the throngs of people in the marketplaces, I could only imagine that sardines had more legroom than we did.

What really made it difficult for us was the language barrier. None of us knew how to say anything in Japanese beyond konichiwa (“hi”), which no one seemed to say, and domo arigato (“thank you”), which seemed to be the only thing that people said. Asking directions required incredibly slow English and exaggerated hand gestures, but all we received in return was a stream of Japanese. To this day, I do not understand why that was. But I suppose that this is what travelling the world is all about. You will not be able to speak every language, so it is best to make do with what you have, and take a leap of faith. Wandering the city on your own terms, you get to see the city through a very different lens, something that no tour guide could ever give you.

If you are hard core into matcha and manga, sushi and shopping, or any combination of those, and are seeking a truly unique adventure, I urge you to fly to Tokyo and take in its 24/7 upbeat way of life.