Board Shorts

0
436

U-Pass referendum

With the current agreement between post-secondary institutions and Translink set to end, a referendum question is being posed to students during the SFSS Spring 2016 General Election Ballot.

It proposes the fee for U-Pass will get up $1.50 next year and another $1.50 after that, meaning that in the 2017–2018 school year, students would pay $41 dollars for their U-Pass instead of the $38 they do now. The SFSS motioned to endorse the “Yes” side of the referendum.

Sexual Assault Centre

Speaking of referendums, another could be coming to officially gauge interest in a sexual assault support centre coming to Simon Fraser University. According to Council Liaison Anjali Biju, SFU is one of the only leading universities in Canada to not have a support centre like this, if not the only school.

The Council has approved going forward with a referendum, but now the decision has to go through Chief Commissioner of the Independent Electoral Commission Vanna Lodders before it can officially be a part of the election ballot.

Student appreciation week

This week is student appreciation week! To say thank you just for being students, the SFSS is hosting events all throughout the week to reduce stress and have some fun.

Monday will be Disney Monday, and there is no sign who pushed for that (hint: Ohana means family). The next day will be Treat Yo Self Tuesday, followed by Carnival Wednesday complete with “an inflatable surprise.” Thursday doesn’t have a fun name, but there will be a barbecue and a dunk tank where you can potentially dunk your (least) favourite board member.