University Briefs

0
576
UVic plans to make upgrades to technology for the astronomy program. - Photo courtesy of The Martlet.

UViC students offer new perspective on astronomy

[VICTORIA] — University of Victoria (UVic) students are looking to reinvent stargazing and upgrade the astronomy department at their university. The Committee for Upgrading the Learning Telescopes is a small and relatively new group at UViC. They currently lack the funds they need to fully realize their goal — to enhance the public experience of watching constellations on their open stargazing nights.

The committee has made adjustments to the 20 inch telescope model on campus and they also plan to work on the 32 inch model, Canada’s largest on-campus telescope.

With flies from The Martlet

New chancellor appointed at University of Western Ontario

[LONDON] — The University of Western Ontario appointed alumni Jack Cowin, founder of Competitive Foods Australia Ltd., as it’s 22nd chancellor.

He graduated from Western in 1964 with a degree in Psychology and was involved in the university’s wrestling and football teams.

Cowin told The Gazette, “I’ve got some views on education, what’s required and where Western should be going in the future. I’m glad to play that role.”

With files from The Gazette

Internships scarce for international med students

[HALIFAX] — About 60 per cent of international students applying for internships in medicine at Dalhousie University are being denied. 293 out of 486 applicants were rejected last year because the dates and departments they chose were already full.

Not only does this cost them the $500 Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada fee, but also the non refundable $775 Dalhousie application fee. Canadian and local students receive preference over the international students.

With files from The Dalhousie Gazette