Can’t Fly Without Gravity is beautifully disjointed

0
476
k-os' latest is messy but compelling.

Alternative rapper k-os has always had a penchant for crafting distinctive tracks unlike anything heard in mainstream outlets. With no strict ties to any genre of music, this Toronto-based artist has never ceased to impress with a wide assortment of tracks. In his latest studio album, we see what we would expect from the artist with little to no deviation.

Can’t Fly Without Gravity is a blink-and-you-will-miss-it studio album with 13 well-produced songs. The total collection of tracks clock in at just over 40 minutes, leaving listeners with a succinct album that doesn’t overstay its welcome, a fact that will suit the average music listener fine, given that some songs are better than others.

The album begins with a rather disjointed and puzzling track called “Snapback,” which seems less like an underground jazz interlude and more like a freestyle with oddly timed dips in sound quality. Regardless, the tracks that follow make up for the album’s introductory stumble and more aptly set the tone for the experience to come.

The majority of the tracks on this album can be uniformly categorized as old-school and underground hip hop with the occasional detour into psychedelic soul (“Dance In Yo Car”) and alternative rock (“Turn Me Loose”).

Unfortunately, many of the album’s tracks are forgettable. While k-os is able to produce singles with expertly crafted rhythms, his lyrics are not always on target, and when they are, the references are rather dated and redundant — for instance “shooting on all the wack emcees on sight.”

That being said, k-os does highly impress at the tail end of his sixth album. “Spaceship” proves to be the shining gem of the collection with its thoughtful sing-along verses and serene instrumentals. As well, “Steel Sharpens Steel” turns it up with some kickass guitar that will melt your face off. The album concludes with “Another Shot,” and its lyrics are summative of the album as a whole: “It’s time to go, you’ve missed the boat.”

Can’t Fly Without Gravity has something for everybody, but is not something everyone will enjoy.