Clan’s home opener ends with a loss

0
443
Austin Cozicar / The Peak

On a rainy Saturday night at Swangard Stadium in Burnaby, SFU’s football team (0–2) played a tight defensive game. Unfortunately, they weren’t able to translate that effort onto the offensive side of the ball as they dropped their home opener 16–10 to the visiting Azusa Pacific Falcons (2–1).

“I was very proud of the guys’ effort,” said head coach Kelly Bates after the game. “I’ll never question their effort [. . .] they stuck in there with the 17th-ranked Division II team before last week.

“Is the result what we want? No. But it’s a process right now. Everybody wants to win. But were also trying to lay a foundation, and I feel we’re starting to do that.”

SFU received the ball to start the game, but quickly went three and out. On APU’s opening drive, the defence appeared to bring down APU running back Kurt Scoby. But he was never ruled down by the officials and promptly got up and ran 85 yards down the field to score, giving the Falcons a quick 7–0 lead and stunning the crowd.

Another three and out for the Clan came after APU sacked Quarterback Ryan Stanford, which would become a common theme on the night. Later on in the quarter, SFU held APU to only a field goal. After a couple of false start penalties by SFU, the quarter ended 10–0 for APU.

The start of the second quarter was a terrific one for SFU. Stanford threw a bullet into double coverage, and redshirt freshman Sam Nadon hauled it in for the touchdown. “I heard the play being called, I was waiting for it [in the end zone],” said Nadon after the game. “Perfect ball by Stanford, and really good blocks by the guys. I’m very happy to get my first touchdown in the NCAA.”

Justin Buren later on in the quarter made a fantastic 44 yard catch with a defender draped all over him. That led to an SFU field goal, and the game was tied. Near the end of the quarter, Scoby led APU down the field and within field goal range. On the last play of the half, APU kicked the field goal but was blocked by SFU’s Jordan Herdman.

“Is the result what we want? No. But it’s a process right now.” – SFU head coach Kelly Bates

The opening of the second half was marked by an SFU interception, off a poorly executed fake kick from the Falcons. Unfortunately, any momentum the Clan seemed to gain from the play was short-lived. A pass intended for Justin Buren was tipped right into the hands of the waiting APU defensive back. APU marched the ball down to the SFU yard line, but went for it on fourth and goal and did not convert.

Buren once again made a huge reception to take the Clan within field goal range. But, like before, SFU shot themselves in the foot. Quarterback Stanford fumbled the ball, and an APU player quickly recovered it.

The big event of the fourth quarter was the winning touchdown for APU. Tight end Joriah Thropay was left wide open in the end zone to make an easy catch. However, the extra point was missed, so SFU had the opportunity to win the game if they could get a late touchdown.

They couldn’t get it done. The offense was forced to punt with around five minutes to go, and APU promptly marched down the field and killed at the time remaining on the clock. The final score was 16–10.

The main thing for the Clan to clean up while they continue in GNAC play is mental errors, particularly penalties. Too many times during the game, SFU’s drives stalled after a false start penalty, turning manageable third downs into tricky third and longs.

“You don’t ever pretend the problem isn’t there, you deal with it [. . .] We’ll address it in practice this week,” said Bates.

Another area to for the Clan to improve upon is the offensive line. SFU did not adequately protect their quarterback on the night, as Stanford was forced to scramble out of the pocket and take a few shots throughout the night. He finished with -23 yards on the night, an indicator of the amount of times he was sacked and taken down behind the line of scrimmage.

The “process,” as Kelly Bates likes to refer to, is now officially underway this season. Only time will tell if it ends in on-field success.