University Briefs

0
418
Photo courtesy of The Runner

KSA campaign to increase student voting for upcoming election

[SURREY] — The Kwantlen Student Association (KSA) is aiming to encourage students in their school to vote in the upcoming federal elections this October with a new campaign called Get Out the Vote.

According to The Runner, “The KSA chose perhaps the most interesting Canadian election in recent memory to roll out this new program,” with the possibility for the opposition NDP party to win — making this election particularly historic.

The KSA plans to get students involved by exposing them to debates and other politically-related events situated on their campus.

With files from The Runner

Queen’s professor’s papers removed due to plagiarism

[KINGSTON] — Four academic papers written by a Queen’s University professor were removed from the website of the CDIO Initiative, a Swedish educational organization which focuses on engineering, and consists of over 120 academic institutions globally.

The papers were removed after the university advised CDIO to do so, due to elements of “plagiarism.” Despite the incident, the professor in question hasn’t made any statements concering the papers.

With files from The Queen’s Journal

Stand with Nepal volunteers raise funds for victims of Nepal earthquake

[KELOWNA] — UBCO students have started a program called Stand with Nepal, to lend help and support to victims that suffered from the recent earthquake. 

So far, the students have successfully raised $6,000, and are aiming to raise $10,000. The funds will be put towards initiatives in Nepal to rebuild and restore the homes of the earthquake’s victims.

With files from The Phoenix News