A rip-roaring Love’s Labour’s Lost at Bard on the Beach

0
639
Photo courtesy of David Blue.

This was the most fun I’ve had at Bard on the Beach in a long time. Even before the show got started, the cabaret atmosphere was established with ’20s show tunes and the farcical sense of humour that era is known for. For those not well versed in Shakespeare’s work, this show will be appealing with its simple premise and seamless integration of jazz age songs.

Ferdinand, “The King” (Jay Hindle) controls the underground liquor and gambling trade in Chicago and has decided to focus on his academic studies for three years while giving up women and alcohol. His two friends, Berowne (Josh Epstein) and Dumain (Daniel Doheny) join him in turning his speakeasy, Navarre, into a scholarly retreat.

After a long discussion about the merits of this plan, the three of them agree to swear an oath and join together in their pursuit of higher education. When an eligible princess (Lindsey Angell) and her two friends, Rosaline (Luisa Jojic) and Katherine (Sereana Malani), come to town, their willpower is put to the test.

The ladies are forced to sleep outside in a tent as the men try to restrain themselves from proclaiming their love. Eventually they write letters that cross paths and cause some confusion. The princess and her friends figure out what’s going on long before the men and decide to have some fun with them.

One of the most comedic scenes involves the men disguising themselves as French pilots in order to woo the women, and all the while the women know what’s going on and disguise themselves by swapping accessories that the men gave them as gifts.

Don Armato (Andrew McNee), Ferdinand’s Italian house guest, was played as a dim-witted Italian mobster, and this worked wonderfully. McNee’s delivery was superb, and his character added another element of humour to the show.

Another standout was Dawn Petten as Jaquenetta, an uncouth flapper who steals Don Armato’s heart. Her ill-tuned singing and awkward demeanour were a hit with the audience.

It may not seem like ’20s hits songs like “Let’s Misbehave,” “I Want to Be Bad,” “Ain’t Misbehavin,” and “Let’s Do It,Let’s Fall in Love” would fit into a Shakespearean production, but they are integrated so naturally into the story that this play feels right at home in 1920s Chicago. With brilliant humour throughout, entertaining musical numbers, and impressive performances from the entire cast, this production is not to be missed.

Love’s Labour’s Lost is presented by Bard on the Beach from June 19 to September 20 in Vanier Park. For more information, visit bardonthebeach.org.