University Briefs

0
563
Photo Courtesy of The Cascade

UFV welding students file complaint over poor ventilation

[ABBOTSFORD] — Students taking welding classes at University of Fraser Valley have complained about poor air quality that came from the school’s new ventilation system.

UFV’s Student Union Society President, Thomas Davies, acknowledged the problem after receiving complaints from students, and issued an alert to their program’s department heads. It was later discovered that the poor air quality resulted from residue that accumulated in the ventilation system. Until the residue is removed, welding students  are required to use respirators for their safety.

With files from The Cascade

UBC students go anti-nuclear

[VANCOUVER] — Three University of British Columbia students have launched a campaign against nuclear testing.

“The United States [. . . has] tested 1,032 nuclear weapons in the past, most of those being the same or bigger than those dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki,” said Hayley Gendron, one of the students.

They presented their Ban the Bomb project at a science and technology conference sponsored by the United Nations last week in Vienna. The aim of the initiative is gain recognition from world leaders for their Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, which they hope will be signed, ratified, and eventually implemented.

With files from The Ubyssey

U of A student is Edmonton’s first youth poet laureate

[EDMONTON] — Poet laureates were traditionally named to record the history of a nation in verse. The title carries a different meaning for Edmontonian and University of Alberta student Charlotte Cranston.

The first youth poet laureate in her city, Cranston will serve as a cultural voice for her community and perform her poetry for various city events.

She hopes to bring poetry to Edmonton youth and to provide them with a platform to share their own creative work: “I really want to celebrate young people’s poetry because it is so honest.”

With files from The Gateway