Contribute to The Tartan Magazine!

0
495

Are you looking to be a part of SFU’s first student-run magazine focused on long-form journalism and creative writing?

The Peak Publications Society will be producing a special 50th anniversary magazine called The Tartan as a pilot project for a potential semesterly magazine, and we need contributors to make it a reality.

We want creative writers, aspiring journalists, photographers, illustrators (really anyone creative and passionate) to be involved.

To join our mailing list follow this link: http://eepurl.com/bpoutf

Submission Process

Wondering how you can start writing, illustrating or taking photos for The Tartan? It’s a little different depending on exactly what you want to do but in every case it’s easy!

All inquires and submissions should be sent by e-mail to tartan@the-peak.ca.

If you have any general questions or concerns, send them our way! Pitches for non-ficiton pieces and interest in contributing short stories, poems, or any other creative fiction will require a little more information.

If you want to write a non-fiction piece…

If you have an idea for a longform journalistic piece, please put “NON-FICTION: [YOUR IDEA]” as the subject line of the e-mail. In a sentence or two, write the subject you would like to explore and why you think it will be interesting to SFU readers. Follow that with an example of a previous piece of writing or two that prove you will be able to accomplish the task you have set out for yourself.

Example:

nonfic_screenshot

If you want to write a fiction piece…

If you want to submit a work of creative writing (short story, poem etc.), we have two options for you.

If you have something already written that you want to submit, send it along with a brief description of the piece.

If you have an idea for a story or poem you’d like to write for the Tartan, send us a description of the piece and how long you expect it will be, along with a writing sample of two or three pieces you have already written.

In either case please put “FICTION: [YOUR IDEA]” as the subject line of the e-mail. 

If you want to take photos or draw…

If you want to be a photographer or illustrator for the magazine, please write to us with “PHOTOS: [YOUR NAME]” or “ILLUSTRATIONS: [YOUR NAME]”. Once we have an idea of the stories we will be publishing we’ll find an assignment for you and send an e-mail your way with all the information!

To learn even more, read our contributor and reader guide.

Come talk to us! Click here to see The Tartan’s staff’s office hours.

All questions and inquiries are to be sent to tartan@the-peak.ca.